This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Ten cases of bronchial obstruction due either to bronchogenic cyst, aneurysm of the pulmonary artery, aberrant left pulmonary artery or absence of cartilaginous rings have been reported. In some instances respiratory symptoms have been well tolerated, and surgery has been delayed awaiting growth of the child. In others, successful surgical intervention has been undertaken in the first few months of life. The technical procedures done have included excision of a bronchogenic cyst, aneurysmorrhaphy of the pulmonary artery, translocation of the pulmonary artery and sleeve resection of the bronchus. In no patient has pulmonary resection been necessary. From the experience gained in these cases we would tend to recommend direct surgical intervention early in the course of the disease.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The Surgery of Infancy and Childhood.W. B. Saunders Co, Philadelphia1953
- Bronchogenic mediastinal cysts in infants: case report and review of the literature.Pediatrics. 1962; 30: 372
- Massive atelectasis of the left lung in children with congenital heart disease.J. Thoracic Surg. 1957; 34: 116
- Congenital absence of the pulmonary valve, the clinical syndrome of tetralogy of Fallot with pulmonary regurgitation.Circulation. 1962; 16: 266
- Aneurysms of the pulmonary artery: review of the literature and report of a case.Am. Heart J. 1947; 34: 471
- Anomalous left pulmonary artery causing obstruction of the right main bronchus, report of a case.J. A. M. A. 1954; 155: 1409
- Pulmonary artery ring.Acta radiol. 1957; 48: 434
- Congenital hypertrophic lobar emphysema.Surgery. 1962; 52: 505
- Reconstructive tracheobronchial surgery.S. Clin. North America. 1956; 36: 893
- Zur Chirurgie der gutartigen Bronchusstenosen im Kindesalter.Medizinische. 1959; 37: 1674
☆Aided in part by grant from the Buhl Foundation.
© 1963 Published by Elsevier Inc.