This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Fifteen cases of thyroiditis and coexisting neoplasia have been presented.
A wide variety of tumors occurred with various types of thyroiditis. The chronic unclassified variety was more common in this series than Hashimoto's thyroiditis.
We were not able to indict any specific cellular type in the thyroiditis process as the cell of origin of the neoplasm.
It is our impression that thyroiditis does not exert any influence on the behavior of the neoplasm; the tumors generally following the expected course for the given neoplasm.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Experimental thyroiditis following immunization with thyroid extract.in: Proc. New York State Assoc. Pub. Health Laboratories. 38. 1958: 36
- Experimental thyroiditis in rabbits, guinea pigs and dogs following immunizations with thyroid extracts of their own and heterologous species.Am. J. Path. 1960; 36: 213
- Thyroglobulin antibodies in multiple thyroid diseases.New England J. Med. 1959; 260: 112
- Relation of thyroid neoplasms to Hashimoto's disease of the thyroid gland.Arch. Surg. 1955; 70: 291
- Carcinoma of the thyroid in association with Struma lymphomatosa.Ann. Surg. 1960; 151: 675
- Malignant lymphoma of the thyroid gland and its relation to Hashimoto's disease: a clinical and pathologic study of eight patients.J. Clin. Endocrinol. 1958; 15: 70
- Malignant lymphomas of the thyroid.Surg. Gynec. & Obst. 1958; 106: 70
- Gross and microscopic findings in clinically normal thyroid glands.J. Clin. Endocrinol. 1955; 15: 1270
- Thyroiditis: a review.Am. J. Clin. Path. 1955; 25: 289
Stewart, F. W. Personal communication.
© 1963 Published by Elsevier Inc.