This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The history of sixty-nine cases of carcinoma of the maxillary antrum seen at the Ellis Fischel State Cancer Hospital between 1940 and 1964 is reported. Factors influencing prognosis are reported to assist in further refinement in staging of this type of cancer. Past experience and current practices suggest that the proper therapy for these lesions includes: (1) sinusotomy for open drainage and treatment of infection, (2) radiotherapy to 5,000 r tumor dose in five weeks preoperatively for resectable tumors, (3) larger and more protracted irradiation as the sole treatment for unresectable lesions, (4) radical antrectomy generally necessitating an orbital exenteration when a wall of the orbit is involved or extirpation of the contents of the subtemporal fossa for posterior extension, and (5) radical neck dissection for cervical lymph node metastases.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Rates of growth of pulmonary metastases and host survival.Ann. Surg. 1964; 159: 161
- Roentgentherapy in epitheliomas of the maxillary sinus.Surg. Gynec. & Obst. 1937; 65: 657
- Carcinoma of the paranasal sinuses and the nasal cavities.Acta radiol. 1954; 42: 149
- Malignant tumors of the maxillary sinus. Correlative study of clinical anatomical and pathologic aspects of supervoltage roentgentherapy.Acta radiol. 1962; 58: 105
- Malignant disease of the antrum.Brit. J. Radiol. 1959; 32: 378
- Surgery of extensive cancer of paranasal sinuses.Arch. Otolaryng. 1961; 73: 129
- Carcinoma of the maxillary antrum: coordinated roentgen-surgical therapy.Missouri Med. 1964; 61: 1003
- A clinical study of radiation cataracts and the relationship to dose.Am. J. Roentgenol. 1957; 77: 759
- The effects of beta radiation on the eye.Radiology. 1956; 66: 240
- Tumors of the Eye.in: Paul B. Hoeber, Inc, New York1951: 67
- Les epithéliomas du sinus maxillaire traîtés par roentgentherapie transcutanée seule.J. radiol. et électrol. 1960; 41: 368
☆This investigation was supported by Public Health Service Research Grant No. CA-08023-01.
© 1965 Published by Elsevier Inc.