This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The plasma activities of the acid hydrolases β-Dglucosidase and β-D-galactosidase were studied in connection with a standardized hypotension in pigs induced by bleeding to a mean arterial pressure of 30 mm Hg. All animals showed increases in both enzymes, with β-glucosidase reacting most with a relative increase 6 to 73 times the preshock values after one hour of hypovolemic shock. In prolonged hypotension, increases up to 200 times the basal values were seen. The increases seemed to be early and correlated with the development of irreversibility in shock, but it cannot be stated whether the relation is causative in any respect or merely passive. The importance of concomitant acidosis is stressed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Altération précoce des lysosomes au cours de la nécrose massive d'un lobe hépatique.Arch Int Physiol. 1957; 65: 156
- Studies on lysosomes. I. The effects of endotoxin, endotoxin tolerance, and cortisone on the release of acid hydrolases from a granular fraction of rabbit liver.J Exp Med. 1962; 116: 433
- Pathogenesis of experimental shock. IV. Studies on lysosomes in normal and tolerant animals subjected to lethal trauma and endotoxemia.J Exp Med. 1962; 116: 451
- Behaviour of lysosomes in haemorrhagic shock.Nature. 1963; 199: 493
- Plasma cathepsin-like acid proteinase activity during hemorrhagic shock.J Surg Res. 1965; 5: 116
- Role of intestinal mucosal lysosomal enzymes in the pathogenesis of shock.J Trauma. 1968; 8: 350
- Common mechanisms of hypotension in irreversible shock and liver transplantation.Surg Gynec Obstet. 1969; 128: 601
- Mechanism of hepatic dysfunction following shock and trauma.Arch Surg. 1970; 100: 546
- Role of liver and toxic factors in shock.in: Hershey SG Shock. Little, Brown & Co, Boston1964: 43
- On the occurrence, sites and modes of origin and destruction, of principles affecting the compensatory vascular mechanisms in experimental shock.Science. 1945; 102: 489
- Hypotension following revascularization of the anoxic liver: factors influencing its occurrence and prevention.Surgery. 1968; 63: 446
- A study of the genesis of shock associated with experimentally induced hepatic necrosis in dogs.Surgery. 1956; 39: 12
- Ultrastructural changes in hemorrhagic shock. Electron microscopic study of liver, kidney and striated muscle cells in rats.Ann Surg. 1965; 162: 517
- Hepatic physiologic and morphologic alterations in hemorrhagic shock.Surg Gynec Obstet. 1964; 118: 828
- Changes in lysosomal enzymes in acute experimental liver injury.Biochem J. 1965; 96: 484
- Validity of the lysosomal theory in oligemic shock.Arch Surg. 1969; 99: 325
Fredlund PE, Öckerman PA, Vang JO: Release of acid hydrolases during perfusion of pig liver. Acta Chir Scand in press.
Fredlund PE, Öckerman PA, Vang JO: Acidosis and increased levels of β-D-glucosidase and β-D-galactosidase after hepatic inflow occlusion in the pig. (To be published.)
- Radioisotope techniques in clinical research and diagnosis.Butterworth & Co, London1958
- Blood acid-base alignment nomogram.Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 1963; 15: 211
- Acid hydrolases in skin and plasma in gargoylism. Deficiency of β-galactosidase in skin.Clin Chim Acta. 1968; 20: 1
- 4-methyl-umbelliferyl-β-glucosidase activity in human blood plasma.Clin Chim Acta. 1968; 21: 279
- Effect of hemorrhagic shock on the lung of the pig.in: 3rd ed. Surg Forum. 21. 1970: 21
- The nature of experimental irreversible shock with its clinical application.in: Hershey SG Shock. Little, Brown & Co, Boston1964: 139
- Relevance of experimental shock studies to clinical shock problems.in: 3rd ed. Fed Proc. 20. 1961: 227
- Changes in the level of lysosomal enzymes in plasma and lymph in hemorrhagic shock.Med Exp. 1969; 19: 267
- Role of lysosomes in the pathogenesis of splanchnic ischemia shock in cats.Circ Res. 1970; 27: 783
- Effect of reticuloendothelial stimulation in plasma acid hydrolase activity in hemorrhagic shock.in: 3rd ed. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 124. 1967: 1243
- Hydrocortisone and lysosomal enzymes in tourniquet shock.in: 3rd ed. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 126. 1966: 362
- Lactic acid as a factor in the production of irreversibility in oligemic shock.Nature. 1966; 212: 1210
- Plasma activities of acid hydrolases after hepatic dearterialization in the pig.Eur Surg Res. 1972; 4: 175
© 1972 Published by Elsevier Inc.