This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Rectal fixation to the sacrum is considered the most rational operation in the surgical treatment of massive or complete prolapse of the rectum, since it eliminates the anatomic defect which is fundamental in the pathogenesis of this disease.
Teflon mesh has been advocated as the prosthetic material used in sacrofixation of the rectum. A variant described in this report consists of using Marlex mesh instead of Teflon. Marlex is a synthetic material derived from propane gas and is nonreactive in human tissues. Its successful use in the repair of large ventral hernias suggested its suitability for rectofixation.
In the six cases operated on, no postoperative complications were observed. Even though the follow-up period is still short, no recurrences have been observed in any of the patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Complete rectal prolapse. An evaluation of surgical treatment.Ann Surg. 1965; 2: 211
- Some observation on the movement of the pelvic floor and rectum with special reference to rectal prolapse.Brit J Surg. 1966; 53: 748
- The treatment of complete prolapse of the rectum by the Roscoe Graham operation.Brit J Surg. 1958; 45: 323
- Surgical treatment of complete rectal prolapse.Ann Surg. 1939; 109: 799
- Surgical treatment of severe rectal prolapse.in: Proc Roy Soc Med. 52. 1959: 104 (suppl)
- Etiology and surgical therapy of massive prolapse of the rectum.Ann Surg. 1963; 157: 259
- One-stage perineal repair of rectal prolapse.Arch Surg. 1964; 89: 6
- Prolapse of the rectum.Postgrad Med J. 1964; 40: 125
- The choice of an operation for massive rectal prolapse.Surg Clin N Amer. 1965; 45: 293
- Combined perineal and abdominal operation for repair of rectal prolapse.Surg Gynec Obstet. 1948; 86: 493
- The management of rectal prolapse and procidentia.Amer J Surg. 1960; 99: 144
- Massive prolapse of the rectum.Arch Surg. 1956; 72: 667
- Procidencia del recto.in: Anales del III Congreso de la ALAP, Santiago de ChileSeptiembre 1966: 369
- Ivalon wrap operation for rectal prolapse.in: Proc Roy Soc Med. 59. 1966: 127
- The polyvinyl sponge wrap operation for rectal prolapse.Brit J Surg. 1966; 53: 675
- New operation for rectal prolapse.in: Proc Roy Soc Med. 52. 1959: 602
- El Marlex en el tratamiento quirurgico de las grandes eventraciones y hernias recidivadas.in: XVI Congreso Peruano de Cirugia, Lima, PeruMarzo 1968
© 1972 Published by Elsevier Inc.