This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Three cases of primary hyperparathyroidism in children are presented and the literature reviewed. Symptoms of nausea, weight loss, and personality changes are more common in children than in adults with this disease. Children may have the diagnosis delayed because of failure to consider hyperparathyroidism. Surgery has been demonstrated to be most effective in treating this condition.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Unusual surgical lesions of the parathyroid gland.Am J Surg. 1969; 118: 770
- Story of hyperparathyroidism at the Massachusetts General Hospital.N Engl J Med. 1966; 274: 1174
- The surgical treatment of hyperparathyroidism.Ann Surg. 1968; 166: 1061
- Primary hyperparathyroidism and cancer.Am J Surg. 1973; 126: 539
- Changing patterns in hyperparathyroidism.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1973; 137: 941
- Neonatal familial primary hyperparathyroidism.N Engl J Med. 1964; 270: 483
- Primary neonatal hyperparathyroidism —an unusual cause of failure to thrive.Am J Clin Pathol. 1973; 59: 267
- Hereditary parathyroid hyperplasia. a surgical emergency of early infancy.Pediatrics. 1972; 49: 514
- Hyperparathyroidism in childhood and youth.Pediatria. 1972; 51: 29
- Familial benign hypercalcemia.J Pediatr. 1972; 81: 1060
- Adenomas of the parathyroid gland in children.Am J Dis Child. 1960; 99: 622
- Primary hyperthyroidism in children.Acta Paediatr Scand. 1970; 59: 249
- Nephrocalcinosis and hypertension in juvenile primary hyperparathyroidism.Am J Dis Child. 1973; 125: 104
- Primary hyperparathyroidism in a child investigated by determination on ultrafiltrable calcium.Am J Dis Child. 1972; 123: 174
- Primary hyperparathyroidism in childhood.Acta Paediatr Scand. 1973; 62: 317
© 1975 Published by Elsevier Inc.