This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Most operative procedures, including those on the thyroid, are performed in community hospitals but reported on from large medical centers. For comparison, therefore, 651 patients who under-went operation for nodular goiter in a community hospital over a twenty-one year period are analyzed. The incidence of carcinoma in patients undergoing operation for nodular goiter increased from 8.7 per cent in the early years to 20.4 per cent in the past four years. The value of frozen section study and thyroid scanning is documented.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Childhood thyroid carcinoma.Cancer. 1961; 14: 734
- Papillary carcinoma of the thyroid. A clinical and pathological study of 70 fatal cases.Cancer. 1964; 17: 1035
- Thyroid suppression.Arch Surg. 1974; 108: 403
- The nodular thyroid gland and cancer. a practical approach to the problem.N Engl J Med. 1964; 270: 431
- Pathology of the thyroid.in: Werner SC Ingbar SH The Thyroid. Harper & Row, New York1971
- Thryoid cancer.in: Werner SC Ingbar SH The Thyroid. Harper & Row, New York1971
- Adenoma and carcinoma of the thyroid gland.N Engl J Med. 1953; 249: 585
- Asymptomatic nodular goiter. diagnostic aspects.Surg Clin North Am. 1963; 43: 1097
- Total thyroidectomy for cancer of the thyroid. significance of intraglandular dissemination.Ann Surg. 1959; 149: 858
- Papillary carcinoma of the thyroid: the case for radical neck dissection.Am J Surg. 1964; 108: 547
- Surgical treatment of thyroid carcinomas. a study of 885 cases observed in a 30 year period.Arch Surg. 1964; 88: 610
© 1975 Published by Elsevier Inc.