This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Single cryoinjuries to the accessory reproductive organs and to the gonads of normal adult male rabbits elicit antibody responses in 35.8 and 11.9 per cent of the cases, respectively. The antibodies display agglutinating and precipitating properties against extracts of the organ that underwent the freezing injury, but do not react in the presence of extracts of other organs of the rabbit. Repeated cryoinjuries raise both the percentage of reacting animals (up to 100 per cent after four successive cryostimulations, in some cases) and the titer of the humoral responses, which, in addition, endure longer in blood than do responses to single stimuli.
These humoral phenomena are the expression of immunologic reactions mounted by the host animals against “self” components, regarded, however, as “nonself” by their surveillance apparatus.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The freezing of tissue during surgery and the production of antibodies.in: 3rd ed. Fed Proc. 25. 1966: 731
- Cellular and humoral responses after freezing damage to the rabbit testis and epididymis.in: 3rd ed. Fed Proc. 30. 1971: 416
- Cellular and humoral responses of autosensitized rabbits to a testis cryo-injury.Immunology. 1974; 26: 447
Zappi E: Structure and functional subdivision of the rabbit epididymis. Submitted for publication.
- Anatomic and histologic studies of the sex accessories of the male rabbit.Univ Calif Publ Zool. 1943; 47: 175
- Cryo-instrumentation.in: v Leden H Cahan WG Cryogenics in Surgery. Medical Examination Publishing, New York1971: 80
- An experimental system for the production of antibodies in response to cryosurgical procedures.Cryobiology. 1967; 3: 456
- Cryo-immunology: surgical approach and thermal regimen for freezing the elements of the male rabbit reproductive system.J Heat Transfer. 1972; 94: 129
- Studies in organ specificity. IV. Production of rabbit thyroid antibodies in the rabbit.J Immunol. 1956; 76: 408
- Contralateral epididymo-orchitis after cryo-injury to the male rabbit gonad.Immunology. 1973; 25: 891
- The absorption of proteins on erythrocytes treated with tannic acid and subsequent hemagglutination by antiprotein sera.J Exp Med. 1951; 93: 107
- Micromethods for the study of proteins and antibodies. I. Procedure and general application of hemagglutination and hemagglutination inhibition reaction with tannic acid and protein-treated red blood cells.J Immunol. 1954; 72: 360
- Studies in cryo-immunology. III. The immunoglobulin nature of the antibody response.Immunology. 1968; 14: 541
- Immunology for Students of Medicine.in: 3rd ed. Davis, Philadelphia1970: 124
- Secondary immunologic response as a consequence of the in situ freezing of rabbit male adnexal glands tissues of reproduction.Exp Med Surg. 1971; 29: 72
- Immunology.in: Saunders, Philadelphia1971: 489
- Cryo-immunology: an aspect of cryobiology.in: v Leden H Cahan WG Cryogenics in Surgery. Medical Examination Publishing, New York1971: 42
- Microbiology.in: Harper & Row, New York1967: 467
- Studies in cryo-immunology. II. Tissue and species specificity of the autoantibodies.Immunology. 1968; 14: 149
- Antibody responses after selective and repeated cryostimulations of the coagulating gland and the seminal vesicle of the male rabbit.Invest Urol. 1972; 10: 171
- Antibody response to epididymis freezing in the rabbit.Invest Urol. 1972; 10: 226
- Cryo-immunology: the antigenic properties of the male rabbit reproductive system as studied by selective freezing of its components.J Heat Transfer. 1972; 94: 141
- Studies on organ specificity. XVI. Urogenital tissues and autoantibodies.Immunology. 1966; 10: 99
- Organ specific antibodies.Ann NY Acad Sci. 1965; 124: 29
- Textbook of Immunology. Mosby, St. Louis1970: 44 8th ed.
- Autoimmunity; theoretical aspects.Ann NY Acad Sci. 1965; 124: 6
- Studies on autosensitization to prostatic tissue and related tissues.Ann NY Acad Sci. 1965; 124: 279
- The low temperature denaturation of chymotrypsinogen in aqueous solution and in frozen aqueous solution.in: Wolstenholme GEW O'Connor M The Frozen Cell. Churchill, London1970: 189
© 1975 Published by Elsevier Inc.