This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
An analysis of thirty-four patients with gallstone ileus is integrated with a review of the literature on the subject. Surgical treatment was carried out in thirty-two patients, with an overall operative mortality of 19 per cent. Three patients were treated by one stage enterolithotomy, fistula repair, and cholecystectomy without operative mortality, emphasizing the merit of one stage treatment in selected, well prepared patients. A 6 per cent incidence of carcinoma of the gallbladder was noted in this series of patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Intestinal obstruction due to gallstones.Ann Surg. 1912; 55: 725
- Zasurstisch—statistische Beitrage zur Pathologie und Chirurgie der Gallenwege.FCW Vogel, Leipzig1890
- Gallstone obstruction: pathogenesis and roentgen manifestations.JAMA. 1941; 117: 1753
- Intestinal obstruction from gallstones.Ann Surg. 1942; 115: 721
- Gallstone ileus: a report of 12 cases.Ann Surg. 1955; 142: 52
- Intestinal obstruction caused by gallstones.Am J Surg. 1962; 104: 383
- Gallstone obstruction of the small bowel.J La State Mod Soc. 1954; 106: 391
- Gallstone ileus: a report of 23 cases.Arch Surg. 1963; 86: 504
- Operative and radiologic relief of gallstone intestinal obstruction.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1963; 116: 189
- Spontaneous internal biliary fistula, obstructive and non-obstructive types: twenty year review of 55 cases.Ann Surg. 1972; 175: 75
- Intestinal obstruction caused by gallstones.Surgery. 1939; 5: 670
- Ileus due to migrating gallstones.Am J Surg. 1935; 30: 548
- A giant gallstone impacted in the colon and causing acute obstruction.Br J Surg. 1932; 20: 26
- Duodenal obstruction caused by gallstones: report of six cases.Am Surg. 1973; 39: 688
- Intestinal obstruction by gallstone.Br J Surg. 1954; 42: 210
- Gallstone intestinal obstruction.JAMA. 1961; 176: 494
- Experience with recurrent gallstone ileus applied to management of the first attack.Am J Surg. 1964; 108: 92
- One-stage repair for cholecyst-duo-denal fistula and gallstone ileus.Arch Surg. 1965; 90: 313
- Recurrent gallstone ileus.Am J Surg. 1958; 96: 379
- Gallstone ileus in a 95-year-old woman: a case report with six-year follow-up studies.Geriatrics. 1959; 14: 257
- Changing concepts in the surgical treatment of gallstone ileus: a review of 15 cases with emphasis on diagnosis and treatment.Ann Surg. 1968; 167: 377
- A note on two cases of gallstone ileus.Lancet. 1922; 2: 812
- Zur Frage des Gallenstein Ileus.Arch Klin Chir. 1929; 155: 16
- Recurrent intestinal obstruction due to gallstones.in: 8th ed. Mayo Clin Proc. 32. 1957: 628
- Choice of operation for gallstone intestinal obstruction.Ann Surg. 1966; 164: 1051
- Planning the operation for cholecystoenteric fistula with gallstone ileus.Surg Clin North Am. 1970; 50: 93
© 1975 Published by Elsevier Inc.