This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This review of recurrent inguinal hernia evaluates the possible causes of recurrence and the most effective operative procedures for successful repair. Emphasis is placed upon precise dissection technic so that whatever fascia is available after the primary operation may be utilized for the subsequent repair. A detailed study is devoted to the histologic features of fascia, emphasizing its lack of vascularization as the possible reason for its strength and permanency throughout life. In operations for recurrent inguinal hernia, rectus sheath pedunculated grafts should be used more frequently, and in extreme cases cord excision may be required. A follow-up study of one hundred postoperative cases, with a failure rate of 7 per cent, is presented.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Anatomy and Surgery of Hernia.in: Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore1953: 205
- A Textbook of Histology. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1962 8th ed.
- Studies on the biology and treatment of recurrent inguinal hernia.Ann Surg. 1974; 179: 567
- The cure of hernia by the use of animal ligature.in: 2nd ed. Trans VIII Int Med Cong II. 446. 1881
- Studies on the biology of collagen during wound healing.Ann Surg. 1971; 174: 511
- Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1973; 137: 1011
- Inguinal hernia and colon carcinoma.Cancer. 1968; 18: 143
- Inguinal hernia and colon carcinoma: presentation of a series and analysis.Surgery. 1973; 73: 434
- 100 casa di cura radicale dell' ernia inguinala operata col metado dell'antore.Arch ed Alli soc ital chir. 1888; 5: 315
- Fundamental error in current methods of inguinal herniorrhaphy.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1942; 74: 746
- Radical cure of hernia.Bull Johns Hopkins Hosp. 1889; 1: 12
- Cure of the more difficult as well as the simpler inguinal ruptures.Bull Johns Hopkins Hosp. 1903; 14: 208
- Hernia.in: Appleton-Century Crofts, New York1963: 6 (chapt 2)
- Hernia.in: 2nd ed. Surgery: Its Principles and Practice by Various Authors. vol 4. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1910: 36
- The use of living sutures in operative surgery.Can Med Assoc J. 1921; XI: 504
- Division of the spermatic cord as an aid in operating on selected types of inguinal hernia.Ann Surg. 1935; 102: 863
© 1975 Published by Elsevier Inc.