This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The clinical presentation, embryologic and etiologic factors, and repair of left paraduodenal hernia are presented. A new operative procedure for cure of left paraduodenal hernia is presented that deals effectively with the sac and predisposing arch containing the inferior mesenteric vein without section of the vein. Repair is based upon the embryologically normal anatomy with restoration of the inferior mesenteric vein to its normal retroperitoneal position. This procedure has been successfully utilized in a case in which the paraduodenal hernia of small bowel was encountered concomitantly with a perforated duodenal ulcer.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Paraduodenal hernias.Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med. 1953; 69: 563
- Paraduodenal hernia and hernias of the foramen of Winslow.in: Nyhus LM Harkins HN Hernia. Lippincott, Philadelphia1964: 577
- Right paraduodenal hernia.Ann Surg. 1945; 122: 436
- Acute intestinal obstruction.Rocky Mt Med J. 1953; 50: 639
- On Retroperitoneal Herniae.in: 2nd ed. The Arris and Gale Lectures. Baillere Tindall and Cox, London1906
- Duodenal hernia. A misnomer.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1923; 37: 740
- Anomalies of intestinal rotation.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1931; 53: 316
- Mesenterico-parietal hernia. Duodenal hernias of Treitz.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1934; 59: 165
- Anomalies of intestinal rotation in adolescents and adults.Surgery. 1963; 54: 839
- Surgical management of paraduodenal hernia.Ann Surg. 1968; 168: 249
- Mechanisms, symptoms and treatment of hernia into the descending colon. (Left duodenal hernia.).Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1935; 60: 1052
- Left paraduodenal hernia.Am J Surg. 1957; 93: 470
- Radiological case book XXXVIII. A paraduodenal fossa.S Afr Med J. 1954; 28: 515
- Roentgen diagnosis of intra-abdominal hernia.Calif Med. 1951; 74: 22
- Left paraduodenal hernia.Am J Surg. 1956; 91: 436
- Intra-abdominal hernia as a cause of intestinal obstruction with special reference to duodenal fossae.South Surg. 1948; 14: 413
- Unintentional gastroileostomy after partial gastrectomy.Lancet. 1956; 2: 237
- Inadvertent gastroileostomy.Ann Surg. 1941; 130: 124
- Left paraduodenal hernia: report of two cases.Can J Surg. 1971; 14: 148
- Strangulated paraduodenal hernia.Surg Clin North Am. 1973; 53: 371
© 1975 Published by Elsevier Inc.