This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This report describes a case of complete occlusion of the right renal artery. Arteriography and intravenous pyelography demonstrated no kidney function. The occlusion was treated by endarterectomy, and eleven days later another intravenous pyelogram revealed that renal function had been restored. A review of the literature also suggests that acute occlusion (caused by embolism) or chronic occlusion (caused by atherosclerosis) should be treated surgically to preserve renal function, reserving nephrectomy only if that should fail.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- An unusual case of renal embolism.Acta Chir Scand. 1960; 120: 276
- Aorto-iliac occlusive disease.Arch Surg. 1970; 101: 161
- The surgical treatment of renal artery embolism with anuria.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1971; 133: 419
- Correction of malignant hypertension and return of renal function following late renal artery embolectomy.Am J Med. 1969; 46: 985
- Renal infarction from bilateral renal emboli.J Urol. 1951; 66: 500
- Duration of renal ischemia required to produce ischemia.Am J Physiol. 1948; 152: 517
- Renal hypothemia.J Urol. 1960; 84: 236
- Renal functional recovery following anuria secondary to renal artery embolism.JAMA. 1964; 187: 540
- Anuria secondary to bilateral renalartery embolism.N Engl J Med. 1962; 266: 971
- Dynamic treatment of renal artery embolism: a case report and review of the literature.J Urol. 1966; 96: 131
- The protective effect of subfiltration arterial pressure on the kidney.in: Surg Forum. 6. 1956: 623
- Bilateral simultaneous renal endarterectomy.Arch Surg. 1964; 88: 818
- Arterial infarction of the kidney.Ann Intern Med. 1955; 42: 1041
© 1975 Published by Elsevier Inc.