Hashimoto's thyroiditis is associated with decreased quality of life (QoL). Thyroid surgery could hypothetically lead to an increase in QoL.
In a follow-up analysis of a prospective cohort study that included euthyroid women undergoing thyroid surgery for benign thyroid disease, 248 patients were willing to answer the SF-36 QoL questionnaire.
At follow-up after a median of 26 months, only the SF-36 module of “bodily pain” had increased (P = .046). Preoperative anti–thyroid peroxidase antibody levels were positively correlated with increasing QoL in the SF-36 modules “bodily pain” (P < .001) and “role emotional” (P < .001). For the presence of histologically confirmed Hashimoto's thyroiditis, a significant positive correlation (P < .001) was found for all modules apart from “physical functioning.”
In women with benign euthyroid goiter, thyroid surgery does not lead to an overall improvement in health-related QoL. It should not be recommended for patients with elevated anti–thyroid peroxidase antibody levels. Patients with histologically confirmed Hashimoto's thyroiditis might benefit in terms of QoL.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Sonography of Hashimoto's thyroiditis.J Clin Ultraound. 1986; 14: 123-126
- Thyroid disease and fertility.Immunol Allery Clin North Am. 1994; 14: 725-738
- Health-related quality of life in patients with thyroid disorders.Qual Life Res. 2004; 13: 45-54
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis affects symptom load and quality of life unrelated to hypothyroidism: a prospective case-control study in women undergoing thyroidectomy for benign goiter.Thyroid. 2011; 21: 161-167
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis in patients with normal thyroid-stimulating hormone levels.Exp Rev Endocrinol Metab. 2012; 7: 175-179
- Symptoms in euthyroid Hashimoto's thyroiditis: is there a role for autoimmunity itself?.Thyroid. 2012; 22: 334-335
- Disappearance of humoral thyroid autoimmunity after complete removal of thyroid antigens.Ann Intern Med. 2003; 39: 346-351
- German Association of Endocrine Surgeons practice guidelines for the surgical treatment of benign thyroid disease.Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2011; 396: 639-649
- The incidence of lymphocytic thyroid infiltration and Hashimoto's thyroiditis increased in patients operated for benign goiter over a 31-year period.Virchows Arch. 2011; 459: 277-281
- The post-mortem incidence of focal thyroiditis.J Pathol Bacteriol. 1962; 83: 255-264
- Kinetics of serum parathyroid hormone during and after thyroid surgery.Br J Surg. 2008; 95: 1480-1487
- Laryngeal recurrent nerve injury in surgery for benign thyroid diseases: effect of nerve dissection and impact of individual surgeon in more than 27,000 nerves at risk.Ann Surg. 2002; 235: 261-268
- Risk factors for postoperative bleeding after thyroid surgery.Br J Surg. 2012; 99: 373-379
- Should patients with symptomatic Hashimoto's thyroiditis pursue surgery?.J Surg Res. 2011; 170: 52-55
- Surgery in Hashimoto's thyroiditis: indications, complications, and associated cancers.J Postgrad Med. 2011; 57: 120-122
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis: outcome of surgical resection for patients with thyromegaly and compressive symptoms.Am J Surg. 2011; 201: 416-419
- Disease associations with autoimmune thyroid disease.Thyroid. 2002; 12: 977-988
- Prevalence and relative risk of other autoimmune diseases in subjects with autoimmune thyroid disease.Am J Med. 2010; 123: 183.e1-183.e9
- Presence of systemic autoimmune disorders in patients with autoimmune thyroid diseases.Ann Rheum Dis. 2004; 63: 1159-1161
- Changed presentation of Hashimoto's thyroiditis in north-eastern Sicily and Calabria (southern Italy) based on a 31-year experience.Thyroid. 2008; 18: 429-441
- The impact of surgical technique on postoperative hypoparathyroidism in bilateral thyroid surgery: a multivariate analysis of 5846 consecutive patients.Surgery. 2003; 133: 180-185
- Prospective study of postoperative complications after total thyroidectomy for multinodular goiters by surgeons with experience in endocrine surgery.Ann Surg. 2004; 240: 18-25
Published online: September 26, 2013
Received in revised form: April 29, 2013
Received: September 19, 2012
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
© 2014 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.