Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
- Estimating health care-associated infections and deaths in U.S. hospitals, 2002.Public Health Rep. 2007; 122: 160-166
- Health and economic impact of surgical site infections diagnosed after hospital discharge.Emerg Infect Dis. 2003; 9: 196-203
National action plan to prevent healthcare-associated infections: roadmap to elimination. Available at: http://www.hhs.gov/ash/initiatives/hai/actionplan/. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Readmission rates and cost following colorectal surgery.Dis Colon Rectum. 2011; 54: 1475-1479
Cafardi SG. Readmissions due to hospital-acquired conditions (HACs): multivariate modeling and under-coding analyses. Available at: http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/HospitalAcqCond/Downloads/Final-Report-Readmissions.pdf. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Effect of postdischarge morbidity and mortality on comparisons of hospital surgical quality.Ann Surg. 2010; 252: 183-190
- Surveillance for surgical site infection after hospital discharge: a surgical procedure-specific perspective.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2006; 27: 1313-1317
- Discharge after discharge: predicting surgical site infections after patients leave hospital.J Hosp Infect. 2010; 75: 188-194
ACS NSQIP—classic variables and definitions. Available at: http://nsqip.healthsoftonline.com/lib/Documents/Ch_4_Variables_Definitions_062810.pdf. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Hospitals must reduce readmissions as CMS moves to cut reimbursement.Hosp Case Manag. 2010; 18 (139): 129-134
- Medicare's readmissions-reduction program–a positive alternative.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 1364-1366
- CMS' stealth health reform. Plan to reduce readmissions and boost the continuum of care.Hosp Health Netw. 2008; 82: 24
- Methods for identifying surgical wound infection after discharge from hospital: a systematic review.BMC Infect Dis. 2006; 6: 170
- Better coordination of care reduces readmissions.Front Health Serv Manage. 2009; 25: 43-46
- All-cause readmissions by payer and age, 2008. Statistical Brief #115. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2011
- Association of postdischarge complications with reoperation and mortality in general surgery.Arch Surg. 2012; 147: 1000-1007
- Hospital nursing and 30-day readmissions among Medicare patients with heart failure, acute myocardial infarction, and pneumonia.Med Care. 2013; 51: 52-59
- A surgical safety checklist to reduce morbidity and mortality in a global population.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 491-499
- Hospital checklists. Transforming evidence-based care and patient safety protocols into routine practice.Crit Care Nurs Q. 2011; 34: 142-149
- System dynamics and dysfunctionalities: levers for overcoming emergency department overcrowding.Acad Emerg Med. 2011; 18: 1255-1261
- Emergency department visits by persons recently discharged from U.S. hospitals.Natl Health Stat Report. 2008; 6: 1-9
- Telemedicine in vascular surgery: clinical experience in a single centre.J Telemed Telecare. 2010; 16: 374-377
- Pilot trial of telemedicine as a decision aid for patients with chronic wounds.Telemed J E Health. 2008; 14: 245-249
- Beyond 30 days: does limiting the duration of surgical site infection follow-up limit detection?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 202-204
- Epidemiology of surgical-site infections diagnosed after hospital discharge: a prospective cohort study.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2001; 22: 24-30
- An evaluation of surgical site infections by wound classification system using the ACS-NSQIP.J Surg Res. 2012; 174: 33-38
The authors declare no conflict of interest.