Clinical results, including postoperative complications and length of stay, are influenced by many factors. Surgeon's identity
1and surgeon's volume have been identified as paramount factors in this regard.
- Manilich E.
- Vogel J.D.
- Kiran R.P.
- et al.
Key factors associated with postoperative complications in patients undergoing colorectal surgery.
Dis Colon Rectum. 2013; 56: 64-71
2Recently, Gilmore et al
- Birkmeyer J.D.
- Stukel T.A.
- Siewers A.E.
- et al.
Surgeon volume and operative mortality in the United States.
N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 2117-2127
3reported in an interesting study the influence of day of the week, specifically the notable effect of operations performed on Monday, on hospital length of stay.
- Gilmore D.M.
- Curran T.
- Gautam S.
- et al.
Timing is everything—colectomy performed on Monday decreases length of stay.
Am J Surg. 2013; 206: 340-345
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Key factors associated with postoperative complications in patients undergoing colorectal surgery.Dis Colon Rectum. 2013; 56: 64-71
- Surgeon volume and operative mortality in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 2117-2127
- Timing is everything—colectomy performed on Monday decreases length of stay.Am J Surg. 2013; 206: 340-345
Published online: November 14, 2013
© 2014 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Timing is everything—colectomy performed on Monday decreases length of stayThe American Journal of SurgeryVol. 206Issue 3
- PreviewPerioperative care of patients undergoing colon resection requires a multidisciplinary approach by the operating surgeon, residents, and nurses. Operations performed on Monday take full advantage of hospital resources throughout the week to meet expected discharge by Friday. In a current health care environment of diminishing means, improving the timing of surgery in relation to expected length of stay may play an important role in preserving health care resources.