Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
- Prevention of intravascular catheter-related infections.Ann Intern Med. 2000; 132: 391-402
- Vital signs: central line-associated blood stream infections–United States, 2001, 2008, and 2009.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011; 60: 243-248
- Attributable cost of catheter-associated bloodstream infections among intensive care patients in a nonteaching hospital.Crit Care Med. 2006; 34: 2084-2089
- Effect of an education program on decreasing catheter-related bloodstream infections in the surgical intensive care unit.Crit Care Med. 2002; 30: 59-64
- Impact of a prevention strategy targeted at vascular-access care on incidence of infections acquired in intensive care.Lancet. 2000; 355: 1864-1868
- Prospective randomised trial of povidone-iodine, alcohol, and chlorhexidine for prevention of infection associated with central venous and arterial catheters.Lancet. 1991; 338: 339-343
- Prevention of central venous catheter-related infections by using maximal sterile barrier precautions during insertion.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1994; 15: 231-238
- The pathogenesis and epidemiology of catheter-related infection with pulmonary artery Swan-Ganz catheters: a prospective study utilizing molecular subtyping.Am J Med. 1991; 91: 197S-205S
- Eliminating catheter-related bloodstream infections in the intensive care unit.Crit Care Med. 2004; 32: 2014-2020
- An intervention to decrease catheter-related bloodstream infections in the ICU.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 2725-2732
- The 100,000 lives campaign: setting a goal and a deadline for improving health care quality.JAMA. 2006; 295: 324-327
Getting Started Kit: Prevent Central Line Infections, How-to Guide. IHI.org. A resource from the Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Available at: http://www.ihi.org/IHI/Topics/CriticalCare/IntensiveCare/Changes/ImplementtheCentralLineBundle.htm. Accessed July 27, 2009.
Implement the Central Line Bundle: Optimal Catheter Site Selection. Available at: http://www.ihi.org/IHI/Topics/CriticalCare/IntensiveCare/Changes/IndividualChanges/OptimalCatheterSiteSelectionwithAvoidanceofFemoralVeinforCentralVenousAccessinAdultPatients.htm. Accessed August 9, 2010.
The Joint Commission: Accreditation Program: Hospital, National Patient Safety Goals. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/NR/rdonlyres/31666E86-E7F4-423E-9BE8-F05BD1CB0AA8/0/HAP_NPSG.pdf. Accessed July 27, 2009.
- Effectiveness of a central line bundle campaign on line-associated infections in the intensive care unit.Surgery. 2008; 144: 492-495
- Systems initiatives reduce healthcare-associated infections: a study of 22,928 device days in a single trauma unit.J Trauma. 2010; 68: 23-31
- Decreasing PICU catheter-associated bloodstream infections: NACHRI's quality transformation efforts.Pediatrics. 2010; 125: 206-213
- Systematic intervention to reduce central line associated bloodstream infection rates in a pediatric cardiac intensive care unit.Pediatrics. 2007; 121: 915-923
- National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) system report, data summary from October 1986-April 1998, issued June 1998.Am J Infect Control. 1998; 26: 522-533
Dean AG, Sullivan KM, Soe MM. OpenEpi: Open Source Epidemiologic Statistics for Public Health, Version 2.3. Available at: http://www.OpenEpi.com. Updated May 20, 2009.
- Medical practice guidelines: current activities and future directions.Ann Intern Med. 1990; 113: 709-714
- Why don't physicians follow clinical practice guidelines? A framework for improvement.JAMA. 1999; 282: 1458-1465
- Why is it that internists do not follow guidelines for preventing intravascular catheter infections?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2005; 26: 525-533
- The Checklist Manifesto.Metropolitan Books, New York2009: 32-37
- Medicare program: changes to the hospital inpatient prospective payment systems and fiscal year 2009 rates.Fed Regist. 2008; 73: 48433-49084
There were no relevant financial relationships or any sources of support in the form of grants, equipment, or drugs.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.