Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Healthcare Costs and Utilization Project (HCUP). 2002 National Statistics. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/HCUPnet. Accessed March 20, 2014.
- Economic burden of postoperative ileus associated with colectomy in the United States.J Manag Care Pharm. 2009; 15: 485-494
- Postoperative ileus: impact of pharmacological treatment, laparoscopic surgery and enhanced recovery pathways.World J Gastroenterol. 2010; 16: 2067-2074
- Causes of increased hospital stay after radical cystectomy in a clinical pathway setting.J Urol. 2002; 167: 208-211
- Opioid-induced bowel dysfunction: pathophysiology and potential new therapies.Drugs. 2003; 63: 649-671
- Mechanisms and treatment of postoperative ileus.Arch Surg. 2003; 138: 206-214
- Postoperative ileus: progress towards effective management.Drugs. 2002; 62: 2603-2615
- Postoperative ileus: a preventable event.Br J Surg. 2000; 87: 1480-1493
- Analgesic agents for the postoperative period. Opioids.Surg Clin North Am. 1999; 79: 253-273
- Evaluation of clinical outcomes with alvimopan in clinical practice: a national matched-cohort study in patients undergoing bowel resection.Ann Surg. 2012; 255: 731-738
- Alvimopan accelerates gastrointestinal recovery after radical cystectomy: a multicenter randomized placebo-controlled trial.Eur Urol. 2014; 66: 265-272
- Facilitating return of bowel function after colorectal surgery: alvimopan and gum chewing.Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2013; 26: 186-190
- Alvimopan, for postoperative ileus following bowel resection: a pooled analysis of phase III studies.Ann Surg. 2007; 245: 355-363
Available at: www.uhc.edu. Accessed March 20, 2014.
- Use and outcomes of laparoscopic versus open gastric bypass at academic medical centers.J Am Coll Surg. 2007; 205: 248-255
- Comparison of laparoscopic vs. open sigmoid colectomy for benign and malignant disease at academic medical centers.J Gastrointest Surg. 2007; 11 (discussion, 1429–0): 1423-1429
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27
- Alvimopan, a peripherally acting mu-opioid receptor antagonist, compared with placebo in postoperative ileus after major abdominal surgery: results of a randomized, double-blind, controlled study.Surg Endosc. 2006; 20: 64-70
- Gastrointestinal tract recovery in patients undergoing bowel resection: results of a randomized trial of alvimopan and placebo with a standardized accelerated postoperative care pathway.Arch Surg. 2008; 143: 1098-1105
- Phase III trial of alvimopan, a novel, peripherally acting, mu opioid antagonist, for postoperative ileus after major abdominal surgery.Dis Colon Rectum. 2005; 48 (discussion, 1125–6. Author reply 1127–1129): 1114-1125
- Clinical trial: alvimopan for the management of postoperative ileus after abdominal surgery: results of an international randomized, double-blind, multicentre, placebo-controlled clinical study.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2008; 28: 312-325
- Alvimopan, a novel, peripherally acting μ opioid antagonist: results of a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase III trial of major abdominal surgery and postoperative ileus.Ann Surg. 2004; 240: 728-735
- Economic analysis of alvimopan in North American Phase III efficacy trials.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2009; 66: 1362-1368
- Fast-track pathway for minimally invasive colorectal surgery with and without alvimopan (Entereg)™: which is more cost-effective?.Am Surg. 2013; 79: 630-633
- Alvimopan for prevention of postoperative paralytic ileus in radical cystectomy patients: a cost-effectiveness analysis.BJU Int. 2013; 111: 1054-1060
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
There were no relevant financial relationships or any sources of support in the form of grants, equipment, or drugs.
This work was supported by the Center for Advanced Surgical Technology at the University of Nebraska Medical Center.