- •We studied stage I and II breast cancer patients with breast conserving treatment.
- •We examined disparities in quality of radiation therapy duration.
- •There were no differences in average days of treatment across races.
- •Disparities do exist in frequency of failure to complete radiation in quality time.
- •Race, age, and insurance impact quality of completion of radiation therapy.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Howlader N. Noone A.M. Krapcho M. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2010. National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD2013 (November 2012 SEER data submission ed)
- Cancer Facts & Figures 2012.American Cancer Society, Atlanta, GA2012 ([cited October 10, 2013])
- Breast Cancer Facts & Figures 2013-2014.American Cancer Society, Inc, Atlanta, GA2013
- Twenty-year follow-up of a randomized trial comparing total mastectomy, lumpectomy, and lumpectomy plus irradiation for the treatment of invasive breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 1233-1241
- Effect of radiotherapy after breast-conserving surgery on 10-year recurrence and 15-year breast cancer death: meta-analysis of individual patient data for 10,801 women in 17 randomised trials.Lancet. 2011; 378: 1707-1716
- Disparities in the application of adjuvant radiotherapy after breast-conserving surgery for early stage breast cancer: impact on overall survival.Cancer. 2011; 117: 2590-2598
- Differences in the quality of breast cancer care among vulnerable populations.Cancer. 2005; 104: 2347-2358
- Patterns and correlates of adjuvant radiotherapy receipt after lumpectomy and after mastectomy for breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 2396-2403
- Compliance with breast-conservation standards for patients with early-stage breast carcinoma.Cancer. 2003; 97: 893-904
- The use of radiation as a component of breast conservation therapy in national comprehensive cancer network centers.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 361-369
- Racial disparities in the use of radiotherapy after breast-conserving surgery: a national Medicare study.Cancer. 2010; 116: 734-741
- Surgeon characteristics and receipt of adjuvant radiotherapy in women with breast cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008; 100: 199-206
- Breast cancer trends of black women compared with white women.Arch Fam Med. 1999; 8: 521-528
- Racial variation in breast cancer treatment among department of defense beneficiaries.Cancer. 2012; 118: 812-820
- Trends in racial and age disparities in definitive local therapy of early-stage breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 713-719
- Does compliance with radiation therapy differ in African-American patients with early-stage breast cancer?.Breast J. 2010; 16: 193-196
- Missed opportunities: racial disparities in adjuvant breast cancer treatment.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 1357-1362
- NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Breast Cancer. Version 1.2013 Ed.National Comprehensive Cancer Network; Ft. Washington, PA, 2013 ([cited October 10, 2013])
- The association of race/ethnicity, insurance status, and socioeconomic factors with breast cancer care.Cancer. 2011; 117: 180-189
- The effect of treatment interruptions in the postoperative irradiation of breast cancer.Oncology. 2005; 69: 214-223
- Long-term results of hypofractionated radiation therapy for breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 513-520
- American college of radiology appropriateness criteria on conservative surgery and radiation: stages I and II breast carcinoma.J Am Coll Radiol. 2008; 5: 701-713
- Disparities in breast cancer treatment and outcomes: biological, social, and health system determinants and opportunities for research.Oncologist. 2013; 18: 986-993
- Racial disparities and trends in radiation therapy after breast-conserving surgery for early-stage breast cancer in women, 1992 to 2002.Ethn Dis. 2007; 17: 122-128
- Do young breast cancer patients have worse outcomes?.J Surg Res. 2003; 113: 109-113
- Long-term outcomes and clinicopathologic differences of African-American versus white patients treated with breast conservation therapy for early-stage breast cancer.Cancer. 2008; 113: 2565-2574
- Radiotherapy omission after breast-conserving surgery is associated with reduced breast cancer-specific survival in elderly women with breast cancer.Am J Surg. 2006; 191: 749-755
- Influence of race, insurance, socioeconomic status, and hospital type on receipt of guideline-concordant adjuvant systemic therapy for locoregional breast cancers.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 142-150
- Insurance status and the use of guideline therapy in the treatment of selected cancers.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 9079-9088
- Discontinuation of radiation treatment among Medicaid-enrolled women with local and regional stage breast cancer.Breast J. 2010; 16: 20-27
- Impact of patient distance to radiation therapy on mastectomy use in early-stage breast cancer patients.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 7074-7080
- Wait times for surgical and adjuvant radiation treatment of breast cancer in Canada and the United States: greater socioeconomic inequity in America.Clin Invest Med. 2009; 32: E239-E249
There were no relevant financial relationships or any sources of support in the form of grants, equipment, or drugs.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.