Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Racial differences in the treatment of early-stage lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 1999; 341: 1198-1205
- Racial disparities in colon cancer survival: a matched cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 161: 845-854
- Racial/ethnic disparities in perioperative outcomes of major procedures: results from the national surgical quality improvement program.Ann Surg. 2015; 262: 955-964
- Race, gender, and partnership in the patient-physician relationship.JAMA. 1999; 282: 583-589
- Is doctor-patient race concordance associated with greater satisfaction with care?.J Health Soc Behav. 2002; 43: 296-306
- Patient-physician social concordance, medical visit communication and patients' perceptions of health care quality.Patient Educ Couns. 2011; 85: e201-e208
- African Americans' participation in clinical research: importance, barriers, and solutions.Am J Surg. 2007; 193 (discussion 40): 32-39
- African Americans and clinical research: evidence concerning barriers and facilitators to participation and recruitment recommendations.Gerontologist. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnv118
- Minority physicians' role in the care of underserved patients: diversifying the physician workforce may be key in addressing health disparities.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 289-291
- Physician race and care of minority and medically indigent patients.JAMA. 1995; 273: 1515-1520
- The relationship between the race/ethnicity of generalist physicians and their care for underserved populations.Am J Public Health. 1997; 87: 817-822
- The role of black and Hispanic physicians in providing health care for underserved populations.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 1305-1310
- The impact of multiple predictors on generalist physicians' care of underserved populations.Am J Public Health. 2000; 90: 1225-1228
- Physician service to the underserved: implications for affirmative action in medical education.Inquiry. 1996; 33: 167-180
- Improving diversity, inclusion, and representation in radiology and radiation oncology part 1: why these matter.J Am Coll Radiol. 2014; 11: 673-680
The Sullivan Commission on Diversity in the Healthcare Workforce Missing Persons: Minorities in the Health Professions 2004. Available at: http://www.aacn.nche.edu/media-relations/SullivanReport.pdf. Accessed October 18, 2016.
- Major deficit in the number of underrepresented minority academic surgeons persists.Ann Surg. 2008; 248: 704-711
- Under-represented minorities in emergency medicine.J Emerg Med. 2013; 45: 100-104
- Minority underrepresentation in academia: factors impacting careers of surgery residents.J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2014; 1: 238-246
- Minorities struggle to advance in academic medicine: a 12-y review of diversity at the highest levels of America's teaching institutions.J Surg Res. 2013; 182: 212-218
- Has diversity increased in orthopaedic residency programs since 1995?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012; 470: 2319-2324
- Ethnic diversity remains scarce in academic plastic and reconstructive surgery.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009; 123: 1618-1627
- The diverse surgeons initiative: an effective method for increasing the number of under-represented minorities in academic surgery.J Am Coll Surg. 2010; 211: 561-566
- The diverse surgeons' initiative: longitudinal assessment of a successful national program.J Am Coll Surg. 2015; 220: 362-369
Society of Black Academic Surgeons. http://www.sbas.net/. Accessed October 18, 2016.
Association of American Medical Colleges FACTS: Applicants, Matriculants, Enrollment, Graduates, M.D.-Ph.D., and Residency Applicants Data. Available at: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/. Accessed January 2016.
Association of American Medical Colleges FAMOUS (Faculty Administrative Management Online User System). https://www.aamc.org/data/facultyroster/. Accessed January 2016.
- Graduate medical education, 2015-2016.JAMA. 2016; 316: 2291-2310
Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education. ACGME Data Resource Book Academic Year 2015-2016. http://www.acgme.org/About-Us/Publications-and-Resources/Graduate-Medical-Education-Data-Resource-Book. Accessed October 18, 2016.
U.S. Census Bureau American Community Survey. https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/. Accessed October 18, 2016.
American College of Surgeons Committee on Diversity Issues. https://www.facs.org/about-acs/governance/acs-committees/committee-on-diversity-issues. Accessed October 18, 2016.
American College of Surgeons Committee on Health Care Disparities. https://www.facs.org/health-care-disparities. Accessed October 18, 2016.
The Society of Surgery of the Alimentary Tract. http://ssat.com/about/committees.cgi?s=1&cc=DTF. Accessed May 17, 2017.
Otolaryngology Diversity Committee. http://www.suo-aado.org/Diversity-Committee. Accessed January 16, 2017.
- Student body racial and ethnic composition and diversity-related outcomes in US medical schools.JAMA. 2008; 300: 1135-1145
- Race and surgical residency: results from a national survey of 4339 US general surgery residents.Ann Surg. 2013; 257: 782-787
- Why do faculty leave? Reasons for attrition of women and minority faculty from a medical school: four-year results.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2008; 17: 1111-1118
- Surgeon burnout: a systematic review.J Am Coll Surg. 2016; 222: 1230-1239
- National survey of burnout among US general surgery residents.J Am Coll Surg. 2016; 223: 440-451
- Project 3000 by 2000. Racial and ethnic diversity in U.S. medical schools.N Engl J Med. 1994; 331: 472-476
- Racial diversity in the medical profession: the impact of affirmative action bans on underrepresented student of color matriculation in medical schools.J High Educ. 2015; 86: 264-294
- 3000 by 2000 and beyond: next steps for promoting diversity in the health professions.J Dent Educ. 2003; 67: 1048-1052
Barbarin, O. Ready or not! African American males in kindergarten. In B. Bowman (Ed.). Love to Read: Preparing African American Children for Reading Success. (pp.1-15) Washington D.C.: National Black Child Development Institute.
Barbarin, O. Emotional and social development of African American children. Journal of Black Psychology, 19:381-390.
- Altering the Course: Black Males in Medicine.2015 (Accessed May 17, 2017)https://members.aamc.org/eweb/upload/Altering%20the%20Course%20-%20Black%20Males%20in%20Medicine%20AAMC.pdf
- Factors influencing surgical career decisions.Curr Surg. 2005; 62: 429-435
- Surgical residents in the 1990s. Issues and concerns for men and women.Arch Surg. 1995; 130: 24-28
- Addressing the paucity of underrepresented minorities in academic surgery: can the “Rooney Rule” be applied to academic surgery?.Am J Surg. 2010; 199: 255-262