- •Using OpTrust, short-course video-based review of intraoperative interactions reliably assessed entrustment behaviors.
- •This observation form demonstrated feasibility, utility, and non-disruptive approach to assessment of operative entrustment.
- •OpTrust lends itself to qualitative and quantitative feedback related to entrustment in procedural-based specialties.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- See more, do more, teach more: surgical resident autonomy and the transition to independent practice.Acad Med. 2016 Mar 1; 91 (PubMed PMID: 26934694): 757-760
- Training autonomous surgeons: more time or faculty development?.Ann Surg. 2015 May; 261 (PubMed PMID: 25575257): 843-845
- Investigating the impact of the 2011 ACGME resident duty hour regulations on surgical residency programs: the program director perspective.J Am Coll Surg. 2015 Oct; 221 (883–889 e1. PubMed PMID: 26272015. Pubmed Central PMCID: 4569491)
- General surgery residency inadequately prepares trainees for fellowship: results of a survey of fellowship program directors.Ann Surg. 2013 Sep; 258 (PubMed PMID: 24022436): 440-449
- Progressive entrustment to achieve resident autonomy in the operating room: a national qualitative study with general surgery faculty and residents.Ann Surg. 2017 June; 265 (PubMed PMID: 27163961): 1134-1140
- Are general surgery residents ready to practice? A survey of the american college of surgeons board of governors and young fellows association.J Am Coll Surg. 2014 May; 218 (1063–1072 e31. PubMed PMID: 24661851)
- How do perceptions of autonomy differ in general surgery training between faculty, senior residents, hospital administrators, and the general Public? A multi-institutional study.J Surg Educ. 2015 Nov-Dec; 72 (PubMed PMID: 26160132): e193-201
- Entrustment of general surgery residents in the operating room: factors contributing to provision of resident autonomy.J Am Coll Surg. 2014 Oct; 219 (PubMed PMID: 25158911): 778-787
- Presidential address: engendering operative autonomy in surgical training.Surgery. 2014 Oct; 156 (PubMed PMID: 25239310): 745-751
- Entrustment, autonomy, and performance in the operating room.Surgery. 2015 Oct; 158 (PubMed PMID: 26298031): 1113-1115
- When do supervising physicians decide to entrust residents with unsupervised tasks?.Acad Med. 2010 Sep; 85 (PubMed PMID: 20736669): 1408-1417
- Entrustment decision making in clinical training.Acad Med. 2016 Feb; 91 (PubMed PMID: 26630606): 191-198
- OpTrust: validity of a tool assessing intraoperative entrustment behaviors.Ann Surg. 2017 Mar 27; (PubMed PMID: 28350564. [Epub ahead of print])
- R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2013 (ISBN 3-900051-07-0; 2014)
- A new instrument for assessing resident competence in surgical clinic: the ottawa clinic assessment tool.J Surg Educ. 2016 Jul-Aug; 73 (PubMed PMID: 27052202): 575-582
- The ottawa surgical competency operating room evaluation (O-SCORE): a tool to assess surgical competence.Acad Med. 2012 Oct; 87 (PubMed PMID: 22914526): 1401-1407
- Reliability, validity, and feasibility of the Zwisch scale for the assessment of intraoperative performance.J Surg Educ. 2014 Nov-Dec; 71 (PubMed PMID: 25192794): e90-e96
- Surgical skill and complication rates after bariatric surgery.N Engl J Med. 2013 Oct 10; 369 (PubMed PMID: 24106936): 1434-1442
- Surgical video analysis: an emerging tool for improving surgeon performance.BMJ Qual Saf. 2015 Aug; 24 (PubMed PMID: 26077990): 490-491
- Video-based surgical coaching: an emerging approach to performance improvement.JAMA Surg. 2016 Mar; 151 (PubMed PMID: 26650338. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC4794349): 282-283
- Novel uses of video to accelerate the surgical learning curve.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2016 Apr; 26 (PubMed PMID: 27031876. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC4845634): 240-242
- What are the principles that guide behaviors in the operating Room?: creating a framework to define and measure performance.Ann Surg. 2017 Feb; 265 (PubMed PMID: 27611618): 255-267
- Systematic review of the Hawthorne effect: new concepts are needed to study research participation effects.J Clin Epidemiol. 2014 08/13; 67 (PubMed PMID: PMC3969247): 267-277