- •This study examined how intraoperative errors affect surgical outcomes.
- •Surgery residents performed the final steps of a simulated hernia repair.
- •Neither the number nor types of errors committed predicted outcomes.
- •Differences in error management did correlate significantly with outcomes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
- Medical error―The third leading cause of death in the US.Br Med J. 2016; 353
Wiegmann DA. Analysis of error management strategies during cardiac surgery: theoretical and practical implications. Presented at the Thousand Oaks, CA.
- What are the principles that guide behaviors in the operating room? Creating a framework to define and measure performance.Ann Surg. 2017; 265: 255-267
- Knowledge in pieces.in: Forman G. Pufall P. Constructivism in the Computer Age. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ1988: 47-70
- The knowledge integration perspective on learning.in: Linn M.C. Davis E.A. Bell P. Internet Environments for Science Education. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ2004: 29-46
- Models of situated action: computer games and the problem of transfer.in: Steinkuehler C. Squire K.D. Barab S.A. Games, Learning, and Society: Learning and Meaning in the Digital Age. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK2012: 403-431
- Surgical coaching for individual performance improvement.Ann Surg. 2015; 261: 32-34
- Utilizing a novel tool for the comprehensive assessment of resident operative performance.J Surg Educ. 2013; 70: 813-820
- Objective structured assessment of technical skill (OSATS) for surgical residents.Br J Surg. 1997; 84: 273-278
- Surgeons' non-technical skills.Surg Clin. 2012; 92: 37-50
- Objective Structured Assessments of Technical Skills (OSATS) does not assess the quality of the surgical result effectively.Clin Orthop. 2016; 474: 874-881
- Use of decision-based simulations to assess resident readiness for operative independence.Am J Surg. 2015; 209: 132-139
- Constructing a validity argument for the Objective Structured Assessment of Technical Skills (OSATS): a systematic review of validity evidence.Adv Health Sci Educ. 2015; 20: 1149-1175
- Development and verification of a taxonomy of assessment metrics for surgical technical skills.Acad Med. 2014; 89: 153-161
- Do errors and critical events relate to hernia repair outcomes?.Am J Surg. 2017; 213: 652-655
- Epistemic network analysis: a prototype for 21st century assessment of learning.Int J Leg Med. 2009; 1: 1-21
- A tutorial on epistemic network analysis: analyzing the structure of connections in cognitive, social, and interaction data.J Learn Anal. 2016; 3: 9-45
- Epistemic network analysis: a worked example of theory-based learning analytics.in: Lang C. Siemens G. Wise A.F. Gasevic D. Handbook of Learning Analytics. Society for Learning Analytics Research, 2017: 175-187
- Quantitative Ethnography.Cathcart Press, Madison, WI2017
- Teaching and assessing engineering design thinking with virtual internships and epistemic network analysis.Int J Eng Educ. 2016; 32: 1492-1501
Quardokus Fisher K, Hirshfield L, Siebert-Evenstone AL, et al. Network Analysis of Interactions between Students and an Instructor during Design Meetings.
- A novel paradigm for engineering education: virtual internships with individualized mentoring and assessment of engineering thinking.J Biomech Eng. 2015; 137: 1-8
- Stop talking and type: comparing virtual and face-to-face mentoring in an epistemic game.J Comput Assist Learn. 2015; 26: 369-393
- Mentor modeling: the internalization of modeled professional thinking in an epistemic game.J Comput Assist Learn. 2011; 27: 173-189
- The right kind of telling: an analysis of feedback and learning in a journalism epistemic game.Int J Gaming Comput-Mediat Simul. 2015; 7: 1-23
- Quantifying the qualitative with epistemic network analysis: a human factors case study of task-allocation communication in a primary care team.IIE Trans Healthc Syst Eng. 2018; (in press)
- Using epistemic network analysis to identify targets for educational interventions in trauma team communication.Surgery. 2017; (in press)
- Outcome measures for surgical simulators: is the focus on technical skills the best approach?.Surgery. 2010; 147: 646-654
- Development and validation of a comprehensive program of education and assessment of the basic fundamentals of laparoscopic surgery.Surgery. 2004; 135: 21-27
- The Discovery of Grounded Theory: Strategies for Qualitative Research.Aldine de Gruyter, 1967
Eagan BR, Rogers B, Pozen R, et al. rhoR: Rho for Inter Rater Reliability. 2016.
Eagan BR, Rogers B, Serlin R, et al. Can we rely on Reliability? Testing the assumptions of inter-rater reliability. Presented at the International Conference on Computer-supported Collaborative Learning, Philadelphia, PA.
- Applied Predictive Modeling.Springer, 2013
- In search of conversational grain size: modeling semantic structure using moving stanza windows.in: Transforming Learning, Empowering Learners: The International Conference of the Learning Sciences (ICLS) 2016. vol. I. 2016: 631-638
- Embracing errors in simulation-based training: the effect of error training on retention and transfer of central venous catheter skills.J Surg Educ. 2015; 72: e158-e162
- Benefiting from mistakes: the impact of guided errors on learning, performance, and self-efficacy.Hum Resour Dev Q. 2005; 16: 301-322
- The impact of error training and individual differences on training outcomes: an attribute-treatment interaction perspective.J Appl Psychol. 2002; 87: 143-155
- A novel approach to minimize error in the medical domain: cognitive neuroscientific insights into training.Med Teach. 2011; 33: 34-38
- Exploring senior residents' intraoperative error management strategies: a potential measure of performance improvement.J Surg Educ. 2016; 73: e64-e70