- •Majority of women with BRCA1/2 mutation chose surveillance over risk reducing mastectomy.
- •Rate of risk reducing mastectomy was similar among women with pathogenic BRCA1/2 mutation and VUS.
- •No woman with VUS underwent risk reducing mastectomy in the absence of breast cancer.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: US Cancer Statistics, https://nccd.cdc.gov/uscs/toptencancers.aspx. Accessed online 9/28/17.
NCCN Guidelines Version 1.2018 Genetic/Familial High-Risk Assessment: Breast and Ovarian. https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/genetics_screening.pdf. Accessed online 11/17/17.
- Average risks of breast and ovarian cancer associated with BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations detected in case series unselected for family history: a combined analysis of 22 studies.Am J Hum Genet. 2003; 72: 1117-1130
- Meta-analysis of BRCA1 and BRCA2 penetrance.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 1329-1333
- Surgical decision making in the BRCA-positive population: institutional experience and comparison with recent literature.Breast J. 2016; 22: 35-44
- BRCA1/2 sequence variants of uncertain significance: a primer for providers to assist in discussions and in medical management.Oncol. 2013; 18: 518-524
- BRCA1 and BRCA2 genetic testing – pitfalls and recommendations for managing variants of uncertain clinical significance.Ann Oncol. 2015; 26 (20-57-2065)
- Gaps in incorporating germline genetic testing into treatment decision-making for early stage breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35: 1-8
- Clinical decision making in patients with variant of uncertain significance in BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes.Ann Surg Oncol. 2017; 24: 3067-3072
- Differences among a modern cohort of BRCA mutation carriers choosing bilateral prophylactic mastectomies compared to breast surveillance.Ann Surg Oncol. 2017; 24: 3048-3054
- Comparison of risk management strategies between women testing positive for a BRCA variant of unknown significance and women with BRCA deleterious mutations.Genet Med. 2014; 16: 896-902
- Poor compliance despite equal access: military experience with screening breast MRI in high risk women.in: Oral Abstract Presented at the American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress, San Diego CA. October 2017
- Bilateral prophylactic mastectomy reduces breast cancer risk in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers: the PROSE study group.J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 1055-1062
- Variants of uncertain significance in BRCA testing: evaluation of surgical decisions, risk perception, and cancer distress.Clin Genet. 2013; 84: 464-472
- Follow-up of carriers of BRCA1 and BRCA2 variants of unknown significance: variant reclassification and surgical decisions.Genet Med. 2011; 13: 998-1005