- •Shared decision-making implicates patients and providers making decisions together.
- •The practice of SDM remains suboptimal in many medical specialties.
- •Poor SDM was associated with worse patient-reported health outcomes.
- •Poor SDM was associated with worse established quality indicators.
- •More research is needed to understand the impact of SDM on health cost reduction.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Effectively engaging patients in everyday health-care decisions.J Fam Pract. 2017; 66: E1-E6
- An integrative model of shared decision making in medical encounters.Patient Educ Counsel. 2006; 60: 301-312
- Interventions for improving the adoption of shared decision making by healthcare professionals.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; (CD006732)
- Assessments of the extent to which health-care providers involve patients in decision making: a systematic review of studies using the OPTION instrument.Health Expect. 2015; 18: 542-561
- Understanding patient perceptions of shared decision making.Patient Educ Counsel. 2014; 96: 295-301
- Anxiety and decision-making.Biol Psychiatr. 2012; 72: 113-118
- Informed shared decision-making and patient satisfaction.Psychosomatics. 2014; 55: 586-594
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Medical Expenditure Panel Survey: Survey Background. https://meps.ahrq.gov/mepsweb/about_meps/survey_back.jsp. Accessed February 2, 2017.
- The efficacy and safety of statins for the treatment of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.Dig Liver Dis. 2015; 47: 4-11
- First United Kingdom Heart and Renal Protection (UK-HARP-I) study: biochemical efficacy and safety of simvastatin and safety of low-dose aspirin in chronic kidney disease.Am J Kidney Dis. 2005; 45: 473-484
- Statin use and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis in at risk individuals.J Hepatol. 2015; 63: 705-712
- Shared decision-making and patient control in radiation oncology: implications for patient satisfaction.Cancer. 2014; 120: 1863-1870
- Informed decision making in outpatient practice: time to get back to basics.JAMA. 1999; 282: 2313-2320
- Shared decision making–pinnacle of patient-centered care.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 780-781
- Council N.R. Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. National Academies Press, Washington DC2001
- Shared decision making to improve care and reduce costs.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 6-8
- Strategies for Value-based Physician Compensation.Medical Group Management Association, 2013
- Predictors of overall satisfaction of cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy.Patient Prefer Adherence. 2015; 9: 1381-1388
- Do patients benefit from participating in medical decision making? Longitudinal follow-up of women with breast cancer.Psycho Oncol. 2006; 15: 9-19
- A multilevel analysis of patient engagement and patient-reported outcomes in primary care practices of accountable care organizations.J Gen Intern Med. 2017; 32: 640-647
- Association of actual and preferred decision roles with patient-reported quality of care: shared decision making in cancer care.JAMA Oncol. 2015; 1: 50-58
- Sharing decisions in cancer care.Soc Sci Med. 2001; 52: 1865-1878
- Effect of a decision aid on knowledge and treatment decision making for breast cancer surgery: a randomized trial.JAMA. 2004; 292: 435-441
- Assessment of quality of care in an oncology institute using information on patients' satisfaction.Oncology. 2001; 61: 120-128
- Patient satisfaction during radiation therapy. Correlates and patient suggestions.Strahlenther Onkol. 2012; 188: 492-498
- Patients' perception of hospital care in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 1921-1931
- Patient satisfaction and its relationship with clinical quality and inpatient mortality in acute myocardial infarction.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2010; 3: 188-195
- Shared decision making and improving health care: the answer is not in.JAMA. 2017; 318: 617-618
- Introducing decision aids at Group Health was linked to sharply lower hip and knee surgery rates and costs.Health Aff. 2012; 31: 2094-2104
- Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; (CD001431)
- Shared decision-making and health care expenditures among children with special health care needs.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: 99-107