- •EGS interhospital transfers have higher rates of mortality than direct admissions.
- •Direct admissions are less likely to have a procedure or surgery than transfers.
- •Odds of mortality remain elevated despite controlling for patient characteristics.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Emergency general surgery: definition and estimated burden of disease.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013; 74 (1092-7. PubMed PMID: 23511150)
- Creating an emergency general surgery service enhances the productivity of trauma surgeons, general surgeons and the hospital.J Trauma. 2005 May; 58 (906-10. PubMed PMID: 15920401)
- Transfer status: a risk factor for mortality in patients with necrotizing fasciitis.Surgery. 2011; 150 (363-70. PubMed PMID: 21783216)
- Acuity, outcomes, and trends in the transfer of surgical patients: a national study.Surg Endosc. 2016; 30 (1301-9. PubMed PMID: 26139503)
- Effect of transfer status on outcomes for necrotizing soft tissue infections.J Surg Res. 2017 Dec; 220 (372-8. PubMed PMID: 29180205)
Philip JL, Saucke MC, Greenberg CC, Ingraham AM. Drivers and timing of interhospital transfers of acute general surgery patients. J Am Coll Surg.225(4):S114.
- The public health burden of emergency general surgery in the United States: a 10-year analysis of the Nationwide Inpatient Sample--2001 to 2010.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014; 77 (PubMed PMID: 25058242): 202-208
- Emergency general surgery transfers in the United States: a 10-year analysis.J Surg Res. 2017; 219 (PubMed PMID: 29078872): 128-135
- Introduction to the HCUP Nationwide inpatient sample (NIS) 2011.(Available from:)https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/nation/nis/NIS_Introduction_2011.pdfDate: 2018 January 9
- HCUP NIS description of data elements. Healthcare cost and utilization Project (HCUP). Rockville, MD.(Available from:)www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/vars/pointoforiginub04/nisnote.jspDate: 2018 January 9
- HCUP elixhauser comorbidity software. Healthcare cost and utilization Project (HCUP). Rockville, MD.(Available from:)
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36 (PubMed PMID: 00005650-199801000-00004): 8-27
- Functional status predicts acute care readmissions from inpatient rehabilitation in the stroke population.PLoS One. 2015; 10 (PubMed PMID: 26599009. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC4657881)e0142180
- Surgery flag software. Healthcare cost and utilization Project (HCUP). Rockville, MD.(Available from:)
- Elective intrahospital admissions versus acute interhospital transfers to a surgical intensive care unit: cost and outcome prediction.J Trauma. 1991; 31 (discussion 8-9. PubMed PMID: 2072429): 915-918
- Disparities in access to emergency general surgery care in the United States.Surgery. 2018 Feb; 163 (PubMed PMID: 29050886): 243-250
- Redefining the future of trauma surgery as a comprehensive trauma and emergency general surgery service.J Am Coll Surg. 2004 Jul; 199 (PubMed PMID: 15217636): 96-101
- Interhospital transfers of acute care surgery patients: should care for nontraumatic surgical emergencies be regionalized?.World J Surg. 2011 Dec; 35 (PubMed PMID: 22002495): 2660-2667
- Regionalization of surgical services in central Florida: the next step in acute care surgery.J Trauma. 2010 Sep; 69 (discussion 643-4. PubMed PMID: 20838135): 640-643
- Transfer of unstable patients: dumping or duty?.J Am Med Assoc. 1987 Mar 20; 257 (PubMed PMID: 3820468): 1519
- Applicability to hospital inpatients and hospitals with specialized capabilities, 77 fed.Reg. Feb. 2, 2012; 5213: 5214