- •BMI and operative time have a positive correlation for nipple-sparing mastectomy.
- •Higher BMI marginally increased risk of nipple-areola ischemic complications.
- •Longer operative time did not impact morbidity.
- •Other patient factors did not impact ischemic complications.
Nipple-sparing mastectomy (NSM) use is increasing. We investigated the relationships between body mass index (BMI), operative time (OT), and ischemic complications.
A single center, retrospective review was performed of NSMs from 2006 to 2018. Analysis included descriptive statistics, Wilcoxon rank-sum test and logistic regression.
Among 294 patients, 510 breast reconstructions were performed (216 bilateral). Median OTs in the prosthetic-based (266 patients, 90.5%) and autologous tissue groups (28 patients, 9.5%) were 266 and 529 min, respectively. Median OTs ranged from 236 to 358 min for those with BMI <20 and ≥ 40, respectively. Increasing BMI correlated with OT (r = 0.33, p < 0.001) and was associated with slightly higher odds of major NAC ischemic complications (OR = 1.09, p = 0.02).
Higher BMI is associated with up to 50% longer OT, but is not a contraindication to NSM with reconstruction. Surgeons should recognize increased time and resource utilization.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Expanded indications and improved outcomes for nipple-sparing mastectomy over time.Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22: 3317-3323
- Nipple sparing mastectomy: surgical and oncological outcomes from a national multicentric registry with 913 patients (1006 cases) over a six year period.Breast. 2016; 25: 75-81
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy for breast cancer and risk-reducing surgery: the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center experience.Ann Surg Oncol. 2011; 18: 3117-3122
- NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Breast Cancer.2016 (version 1.2016)
- Does nipple preservation in mastectomy improve satisfaction with cosmetic results, psychological adjustment, body image and sexuality?.Breast Canc Res Treat. 2009; 118: 623-633
- Higher body mass index leads to longer operative time in total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplast. 2013; 28: 563-565
- Body mass index and operative times at cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 124: 684-689
- Impact of obesity on outcomes in breast reconstruction: analysis of 15,937 patients from the ACS-NSQIP datasets.J Am Coll Surg. 2013; 217: 656-664
- Obesity increases operating room time for lobectomy in the society of thoracic surgeons database.Ann Thorac Surg. 2012; 94: 1841-1847
- The increased utilization of operating room time in patients with increased BMI during primary total hip arthroplasty.J Arthroplast. 2013; 28: 680-683
- The impact of operative time on complications after plastic surgery: a multivariate regression analysis of 1753 cases.Aesthet Surg J. 2014; 34: 614-622
- Prolonged operative duration is associated with complications: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Surg Res. 2018; 229: 134-144
- General surgical operative duration is associated with increased risk-adjusted infectious complication rates and length of hospital stay.J Am Coll Surg. 2010; 210 (60-65 e61-62)
- Factors affecting post-operative complications following skin sparing mastectomy with immediate breast reconstruction.Breast. 2011; 20: 21-25
- Breast reconstruction following nipple-sparing mastectomy: predictors of complications, reconstruction outcomes, and 5-year trends.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014; 133: 496-506
- Postoperative complications in prosthesis-based breast reconstruction using acellular dermal matrix.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011; 127: 1755-1762
- Predicting complications following expander/implant breast reconstruction: an outcomes analysis based on preoperative clinical risk.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008; 121: 1886-1892
- Mastectomy skin flap necrosis: challenges and solutions.Breast Canc. 2017; 9: 141-152
- Smoking as a risk factor for wound healing and infection in breast cancer surgery.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2002; 28: 815-820
- Nipple sparing mastectomy: does breast morphological factor related to necrotic complications?.Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2014; 2: e99
- Risk factors for adverse outcome following skin-sparing mastectomy and immediate prosthetic reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012; 129: 234e-241e
- Nipple sparing mastectomy: can we predict the factors predisposing to necrosis?.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2012; 38: 125-129
- Papers regarding operative times and complications can be misleading.Aesthet Surg J. 2015; 35: NP7-NP8
- Oncologic safety of nipple-sparing mastectomy in women with breast cancer.J Am Coll Surg. 2017; 225: 361-365
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy: indications, contraindications, risks, benefits, and techniques.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 3138-3144
- Oncologic safety of prophylactic nipple-sparing mastectomy in a population with BRCA mutations: a multi-institutional study.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: 123-129
- Patient satisfaction following nipple-sparing mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction: an 8-year outcome study.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010; 125: 818-829
- Long-term psychosocial functioning in women with bilateral prophylactic mastectomy: does preservation of the nipple-areolar complex make a difference?.Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22: 3324-3330
- Increasing eligibility for nipple-sparing mastectomy.Ann Surg Oncol. 2013; 20: 3218-3222
- NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (NCCN Guidelines®) Breast Cancer. 2019
- When mastectomy is needed: is the nipple-sparing procedure a new standard with very few contraindications?.J Surg Oncol. 2013; 108: 207-212
- Nipple-areolar complex ischemia after nipple-sparing mastectomy with immediate implant-based reconstruction: risk factors and the success of conservative treatment.Aesthet Surg J. 2014; 34: 560-570
- Nipple-areolar complex ischemia and necrosis in nipple-sparing mastectomy.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2018; 44: 1170-1176
- Mastectomy skin necrosis after microsurgical breast reconstruction.J Surg Res. 2015; 198: 530-534
- Nipple loss following nipple-sparing mastectomy.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016; 138: 24e-30e
- A predictive model of risk and outcomes in tissue expander reconstruction: a multivariate analysis of 9786 patients.J Plastic Surg Hand Surg. 2013; 47: 513-518
Published online: December 17, 2019
Accepted: December 5, 2019
Received in revised form: November 25, 2019
Received: May 15, 2019
© 2019 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.