- •Among EGS patients MetS increases morbidity and hospital readmission risk.
- •MetS had the strongest negative effect on appendectomy and increased mortality.
- •Specific complications to be expected are infective, renal, and pulmonary in nature.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Does metabolic syndrome predict surgical complications? A protocol for a systematic review and meta-analysis.Syst Rev. 2017; 6: 115
- Obesity: definition, comorbidities, causes, and burden.Am J Manag Care. 2016; 22: s176-s185
- Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in the United States, 2003-2012.Jama. 2015; 313: 1973-1974
- The global epidemic of the metabolic syndrome.Curr Hypertens Rep. 2018; 20: 12
- Use of national burden to define operative emergency general surgery.JAMA Surg. 2016; 151e160480
- The public health burden of emergency general surgery in the United States: a 10-year analysis of the Nationwide Inpatient Sample--2001 to 2010.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014; 77: 202-208
- The excess morbidity and mortality of emergency general surgery.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015; 78: 306-311
- The consequences of obesity on trauma, emergency surgery, and surgical critical care.World J Emerg Surg. 2006; 1: 27
- A clinical perspective of obesity, metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease.JRSM Cardiovasc Dis. 2016; 5 (2048004016633371)
Chung, A.S., et al., Metabolic syndrome and 30-day outcomes in elective lumbar spinal fusion. Spine, 2018. 43(9): p. 661-666.
- Metabolic syndrome as a predictor for postoperative complications after urologic surgery.Urology. 2014; 83: 1051-1059
- Effect of metabolic syndrome on perioperative outcomes after liver surgery: a National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP) analysis.Surgery. 2012; 152: 218-226
- Perioperative outcomes among patients with the modified metabolic syndrome who are undergoing noncardiac surgery.Anesthesiology. 2010; 113: 859-872
- The metabolic syndrome in patients undergoing knee and hip arthroplasty: trends and in-hospital outcomes in the United States.J Arthroplast. 2012; 27: 1743-1749.e1
- User Guide for the 2016 ACSNSQIP Participant Use Data File (PUF).2016 ([cited 2019; Available from:)
- Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of a WHO consultation.World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser. 2000; 894: 1-253
- Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome. An American heart association/national heart, lung, and blood institute scientific statement. Executive summary.Cardiol Rev. 2005; 13: 322-327
- When to use the Bonferroni correction.Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2014; 34: 502-508
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Middle-East countries: meta-analysis of cross-sectional studies.Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2018; 12: 195-201
- Metabolic syndrome across Europe: different clusters of risk factors.Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2015; 22: 486-491
- Metabolic syndrome prevalence by race/ethnicity and sex in the United States, national health and nutrition examination survey, 1988-2012.Prev Chronic Dis. 2017; 14: E24
- Sex- and gender-related prevalence, cardiovascular risk and therapeutic approach in metabolic syndrome: a review of the literature.Pharmacol Res. 2017; 120: 34-42
- Epidemiology of hypertension and associated cardiovascular risk factors in a country in transition: a population based survey in Tirana City, Albania.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2003; 57: 734-739
- Global disparities of hypertension prevalence and control: a systematic analysis of population-based studies from 90 countries.Circulation. 2016; 134: 441-450
- Epidemiology of diabetes.Medicine. 2014; 42: 698-702
- Metabolic syndrome: a closer look at the growing epidemic and its associated pathologies.Obes Rev. 2015; 16: 1-12
- Association between cigarette smoking and metabolic syndrome: the korea national health and nutrition examination survey.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 2064-2066
- The effects of the metabolic syndrome on coronary artery bypass grafting surgery.Cardiovasc J Afr. 2017; 28: 48-53
- The impact of metabolic syndrome on 30-day outcomes in geriatric hip fracture surgeries.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2019; 29: 427-433
- Does obesity explain the effect of the metabolic syndrome on complications following elective lumbar fusion? A propensity score matched analysis.Glob Spine J. 2018; 8: 683-689
- Cholecystectomy as a risk factor of metabolic syndrome: from epidemiologic clues to biochemical mechanisms.Lab Investig. 2018; 98: 7-14
- Cholecystectomy: a way forward and back to metabolic syndrome?.Lab Investig. 2018; 98: 4-6
- Cholecystectomy and risk of metabolic syndrome.Eur J Intern Med. 2018; 53: 3-11
- Impact of obesity on the short-term outcomes of single-port laparoscopic colectomy for colorectal cancer in the Asian population: a retrospective cohort study.Medicine (Baltim). 2017; 96: e6649
- The medical risks of obesity.PGM (Postgrad Med). 2009; 121: 21-33
- [Appendectomy in surgical residency. What has changed over the past 10 years?].Chirurg. 2016; 87: 326-331
- The significant impact of age on the clinical outcomes of laparoscopic appendectomy: results from the Polish Laparoscopic Appendectomy multicenter large cohort study.Medicine (Baltim). 2018; 97e13621