- •A review of 524 patients who underwent a Puestow procedure from the NSQIP database.
- •Patient 30-day outcomes showed a 1.2% mortality and 19.1% morbidity rate.
- •Diabetes, COPD, and transfusions were the strongest predictors of complications.
A lateral pancreaticojejunostomy, or a Puestow procedure, is used in chronic pancreatitis with ductal dilation and pain. The current literature on the Puestow is sparse. This study examines outcomes of Puestow procedures nationwide.
Using ACS-NSQIP database, patients who underwent a Puestow procedure from 2010 to 2016 were identified. Univariate analysis and multivariable regression models were used to identify predictors of mortality and morbidities. Covariates included in the regression models were chosen based on clinical significance.
The cohort included 524 patients. The 30-day mortality rate was 1.2%(n = 6). At least one major complication occurred in 19.1% of patients including death (1.2%), major organ dysfunction (8.2%), pulmonary embolism (1.3%), and surgical site infections (13.0%). Diabetes, COPD, and transfusions were the strongest predictors of complications.
The Puestow procedure is an acceptable treatment modality with low rates of morbidity and mortality. Minimizing transfusions and optimizing pulmonary status may improve 30-day outcomes.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The management of chronic pancreatitis.in: Cameron J. Cameron A. Current Surgical Therapy. twelfth ed. Elsevier Mosby, Philadelphia2017: 532-538
- Chronic pancreatitis: an international draft consensus proposal for a new mechanistic definition.Pancreatology. 2016; 16: 218-224https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pan.2016.02.001
- Chronic pancreatitis.Lancet. 2016; 387: 1957-1966https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)00097-0
- Health-related quality of life in chronic pancreatitis: a psychometric assessment.Scand J Gastroenterol. 2003; 38: 1083-1089
- The epidemiology and impact of pancreatic diseases in the United States.Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2005; 7: 90-95
- Type of pain, pain-associated complications, quality of life, disability and resource utilisation in chronic pancreatitis: a prospective cohort study.Gut. 2011; 60: 77-84https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2010.213835
- The socio-economic impact of chronic pancreatitis: a systematic review.J Eval Clin Pract. 2014; 20: 203-207https://doi.org/10.1111/jep.12117
- The natural history of pain in alcoholic chronic pancreatitis.Gastroenterology. 1999; 116: 1132-1140https://doi.org/10.1016/s0016-5085(99)70016-8
- Surgical treatment and long-term follow-up in chronic pancreatitis.Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2002; 14: 971-977
- Spectrum of use and effectiveness of endoscopic and surgical therapies for chronic pancreatitis in the United States.Pancreas. 2014; 43: 539-543https://doi.org/10.1097/MPA.0000000000000122
- A population-based evaluation of the natural history of chronic pancreatitis.Pancreatology. 2018; 18: 39-45https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pan.2017.11.012
- Unraveling the mystery of pain in chronic pancreatitis.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012; 9: 140-151https://doi.org/10.1038/nrgastro.2011.274
- Pain in chronic pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer.Gastroenterol Clin N Am. 2007; 36 (ix): 33-364https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gtc.2007.03.011
- Fate of nerves in chronic pancreatitis: neural remodeling and pancreatic neuropathy.Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2010; 24: 311-322https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpg.2010.03.001
- Operative management of chronic pancreatitis: longterm results in 372 patients.J Am Coll Surg. 2007; 204: 103-1047https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2006.12.045
- Treatment options in painful chronic pancreatitis: a systematic review.HPB. 2014; 16: 512-521https://doi.org/10.1111/hpb.12173
- Surgical approaches to chronic pancreatitis: indications and techniques.Dig Dis Sci. 2017; 62: 1738-1744https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-017-4526-x
- Operative management of chronic pancreatitis: a review.Am J Surg. 2017; 214: 347-357https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2017.03.004
- Surgical therapy of chronic pancreatitis: indications, techniques and results.Int J Surg. 2009; 7: 305-312https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2009.05.011
- Modified puestow lateral pancreaticojejunostomy.J Gastrointest Surg. 2009; 13: 1004-1008https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-008-0590-z
- Evaluation of pain preoperatively and postoperatively in patients with chronic pancreatitis undergoing longitudinal pancreaticojejunostomy.Indian J Surg. 2015; 77: 1098-1102https://doi.org/10.1007/s12262-014-1173-8
- Short- and long-term results of lateral pancreaticojejunostomy for chronic pancreatitis: a retrospective Japanese single-center study.J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2014; 21: 426-432https://doi.org/10.1002/jhbp.48
- Health care-associated infection after red blood cell transfusion: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Med Assoc. 2014; 311: 1317-1326https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2014.2726
- The beneficial effects of minimizing blood loss in pancreatoduodenectomy.Ann Surg. 2019; 270: 147-157https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000002714
- Diabetes and risk of surgical site infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 88-99https://doi.org/10.1017/ice.2015.249
- Surgical management of chronic pancreatitis.Indian J Surg. 2015; 77: 453-469https://doi.org/10.1007/s12262-015-1362-0
- Development and validation of a risk calculator for predicting postoperative pneumonia.Mayo Clin Proc. 2013; 88: 1241-1249https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2013.06.027
- Wound healing and infection in surgery: the pathophysiological impact of smoking, smoking cessation, and nicotine replacement therapy: a systematic review.Ann Surg. 2012; 255: 1069-1079https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e31824f632d
Published online: December 25, 2019
Accepted: December 18, 2019
Received in revised form: December 10, 2019
Received: October 2, 2019
Published by Elsevier Inc.