- •Surgical educators most commonly have multimodal learning preferences.
- •Certain teaching styles are associated with effectiveness in surgical educators.
- •Surgical educators rate their teaching effectiveness lower than residents rate them.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Learning and Instruction.second ed. Merrill Prentice Hall Pearson, NJ2008
- What embodies and effective surgical Educator? A grounded theory analysis of resident opinion.Surgery. 2020; ([published online ahead of print, 2020 Jul 1] S0039-6060(20)30270-1)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2020.04.056
- Are good attributes of medical teachers more important than the learning style: a glimpse into the future of medical education and learning.JPHE. 2018; 2
- The impact of training of university teachers on their teaching skills, their approach to teaching and the approach to learning of their students.Act Learn High Educ. 2004; 5: 87-100
- Development of an instrument (the COLT) to measure conceptions on learning and teaching of teachers, in student-centred medical education.Med Teach. 2012; 34: e483-e491
- Developing your teaching style: increasing effectiveness in healthcare teaching.Postgrad Med. 2007; 83: 145-147
- Determining your teaching style.in: (Chapter 2) Your Teaching Style: A Guide to Understanding , Developing and Improving. Taylor and Francis, 2007
- Development of a System for the evaluation of teaching qualities of anesthesiology faculty.Anesthesiology. 2009; 11: 709-716
- Reliable and valid tools for measuring surgeon’s teaching performance: residents’ v self evaluation.J Surg Educ. 2012; 69: 511-520
- Health Measurement Scales: A Practical Guide to Their Development and Use.Oxford University Press, Oxford2008
- Coefficient & the internal structure of tests.Psychometrika. 1951; 16: 297-334
- A new measure of rank correlation.Biometrika. 1938; 30: 81-89https://doi.org/10.1093/biomet/30.1-2.81.JSTOR.2332226
- Influence of resident and attending surgeon seniority on operative performance in laparoscopic cholecystectomy.J Surg Res. 2006; 132: 159-163https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2005.11.578
- The effect of surgical resident learning style preferences on American board of surgery in training exam scores.J Surg Educ. 2015; 72: 726-731
- Surgical resident learning styles: faculty & resident accuracy at identification of preferences impact on ABSITE.J Surg Res. 2013; 184: 31-36
- Learning preferences of surgery residents: a multi-institutional study.Surgery. 2018; 163: 901-905
- Self-awareness of learning styles among surgical trainees.J Am Coll Surg. 2015; : S56
- The learning preferences of applicants who interview for general surgery residency: a multiinstitutional study.J Surg Educ. 2016; 73: 136-141
- Learning Styles of medical students, general surgery residents and general surgeons: implications for surgical education.BMC Med Educ. 2010; 10: 51
- Accuracy of physician self-assessment compared with observed measures of competence: a systematic review.J Am Med Assoc. 2006; 296: 1094-1102
- Self and peer assessment of pediatricians, psychiatrists, and medicine specialists: implications for self-directed learning.Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 2006; 11: 235-244
- Qualities and methods of highly effective surgical educators: a grounded theory model.J Surg Educ. 2019;
- Attributes of excellent surgical trainers: an analysis of outstanding trainers.Int J Surg. 2018; 52: 371-375
☆Accepted for presentation at Surgical Education Week, Seattle, April 28- May 2 2020, meeting cancelled due to COVID-19