- •Blacks had a lower risk of thyroid malignancy compared to other racial groups.
- •Blacks with thyroid cancer were less likely to present with extensive disease.
- •Socioeconomic factors did not alter the racial disparity of thyroid cancer.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Racial/ethnic differences in thyroid cancer incidence in the United States, 2007-2014.Cancer. 2018; 124: 1483-1491https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.31229
- The effects of race and ethnicity on thyroid cancer incidence.JAMA Otolaryngol Neck Surg. 2015; 141: 319https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoto.2014.3740
- Trends in thyroid cancer incidence and mortality in the United States, 1974-2013.J Am Med Assoc. 2017; 317: 1338https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2017.2719
- South Korea's thyroid-cancer “epidemic”--turning the tide.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2389-2390https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMc1507622
- Korea's thyroid-cancer “epidemic”--screening and overdiagnosis.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 1765-1767https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1409841
- The basis of racial differences in the incidence of thyroid cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2008; 15: 1169-1176https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-008-9812-6
- The increasing incidence of thyroid cancer: the influence of access to care.Thyroid. 2013; 23: 885-891https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2013.0045
- Primary malignancies of the thyroid: epidemiologic analysis of the Florida cancer data system Registry.Ann Epidemiol. 2000; 10: 24-30https://doi.org/10.1016/S1047-2797(99)00044-7
- Racial disparities in differentiated thyroid cancer: have we bridged the gap?.Thyroid. 2017; 27: 762-772https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2016.0626
- Racial and socioeconomic disparities in presentation and outcomes of well-differentiated thyroid cancer.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014; 99: 133-141https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2013-2781
- Racial disparities of differentiated thyroid carcinoma: clinical behavior, treatments, and long-term outcomes.World J Surg Oncol. 2018; 16: 45https://doi.org/10.1186/s12957-018-1340-7
- Effect of race on thyroid cancer care in an equal access healthcare system.Am J Surg. 2010; 199: 685-689https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2010.01.020
- Variations in clinicopathologic characteristics of thyroid cancer among racial ethnic groups: analysis of a large public city hospital and the SEER database.Am J Surg. 2013; 206: 632-640https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2013.07.015
- Racial disparities in papillary thyroid microcarcinoma survival.J Laryngol Otol. 2017; 131: 83-87https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022215116009737
- Racial disparities in clinical and economic outcomes from thyroidectomy.Ann Surg. 2007; 246: 1083-1091https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e31812eecc4
Papaleontiou M, Norton EC, Reyes-Gastelum D, Banerjee M, Haymart MR. Competing causes of death in older adults with thyroid cancer. Thyroid. Published online March 25, 2021. doi:10.1089/thy.2020.0929.
- Lymphovascular invasion is associated with survival for papillary thyroid cancer.Endocr Relat Canc. 2016; 23: 555-562https://doi.org/10.1530/ERC-16-0123
- Overall survival after resection of retroperitoneal sarcoma at academic cancer centers versus community cancer centers: an analysis of the National Cancer Data Base.Surgery. 2018; 163: 318-323https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2017.07.009
- American thyroid association management guidelines for adult patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer: the American thyroid association guidelines task force on thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer.Thyroid. 2015; 2016;26: 1-133https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2015.0020
- Risk factors for postoperative complications in total thyroidectomy: a retrospective, risk-adjusted analysis from the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program.Medicine (Baltim). 2017; 96e5752https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000005752