- •Stoma location is associated with significant differences in ostomy-related QOL.
- •Cancer survivors with ostomies reported low QOL scores on ability to be intimate.
- •Survivors with ostomies on the right side of the abdomen reported worse skin issues.
We sought to explore how stoma location may affect self-care events and health-related quality of life (HRQOL) in cancer survivors with ostomies.
A pooled dataset was obtained from three multi-site studies that used the City of Hope Quality of Life-Ostomy questionnaire. Predicted means for HRQOL and individual items were generated adjusting for sex, ostomy type, and body mass index.
Among 607 cancer survivors, abdominal quadrant groups were: 138 (23%) upper left, 298 (49%) lower left, 51 (8%) upper right, and 120 (20%) lower right. Survivors with lower right side ostomies more frequently reported weight gain after ostomy surgery (p < 0.001). Stoma on the right side of the abdomen was associated with lower scores for issues with the skin surrounding the ostomy (p = 0.03) and satisfaction with appearance (p = 0.008).
Stoma location is associated with HRQOL and difficulties adjusting to the ostomy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Preoperative considerations and creation of normal ostomies.Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2008; 21: 5-16https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2008-1055316
- The value of a well-placed stoma.Canc Pract. 1997; 5: 347-352
Kiliç E, Taycan O, Bell AK, Özmen M. The Effect of Permanent Ostomy on Body Image, Self-Esteem, Marital Adjustment, and Sexual Func Oning. :vol. 8.
- A mixed-methods evaluation of health-related quality of life for male veterans with and without intestinal stomas.Dis Colon Rectum. 2007; 50: 2054-2066https://doi.org/10.1007/s10350-007-9004-7
- Sexual function and health-related quality of life in long-term rectal cancer survivors.J Sex Med. 2016; 13: 1071-1079https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsxm.2016.05.005
- Sexual health and quality of life among male veterans with intestinal ostomies.Clin Nurse Spec. 2008; 22: 30-40https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NUR.0000304181.36568.a7
- Overview of psychosocial problems in individuals with stoma: a review of literature.Int Wound J. 2019; 16: 243-249https://doi.org/10.1111/iwj.13018
- Ostomies in rectal cancer patients: what is their psychosocial impact?.Eur J Canc Care. 2014; 23: 328-332https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12133
- Demographic, clinical, and quality of life variables related to embarrassment in veterans living with an intestinal stoma.J Wound, Ostomy Cont Nurs. 2007; 34: 524-532https://doi.org/10.1097/01.WON.0000290732.15947.9e
- Influence of intestinal stoma on spiritual quality of life of U.S. Veterans.J Holist Nurs. 2008; 26: 185-194https://doi.org/10.1177/0898010108315185
- Quality of life in colorectal cancer: stoma vs. nonstoma patients.Dis Colon Rectum. 1995; 38: 361-369https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02054222
- Health-related quality of life among long-term rectal cancer survivors with an ostomy: manifestations by sex.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 4664-4670https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.20.9502
- Revision and psychometric testing of the city of Hope quality of life–ostomy questionnaire.Qual Life Res. 2004; 13: 1445-1457https://doi.org/10.1023/B:QURE.0000040784.65830.9f
- Reliability and validity of a survey to measure bowel function and quality of life in long-term rectal cancer survivors.Qual Life Res. 2014; 23: 2831-2840https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-014-0724-6
- Ostomy telehealth for cancer survivors: design of the Ostomy Self-management Training (OSMT) randomized trial.Contemp Clin Trials. 2018; 64: 167-172https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cct.2017.10.008
- The development of a validated instrument to evaluate bowel function after Sphincter-preserving surgery for rectal cancer.Dis Colon Rectum. 2005; 48: 1353-1365https://doi.org/10.1007/s10350-004-0942-z
- Family and out-of-pocket costs for women with breast cancer.Canc Pract. 1994; 2: 187-193
- R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, 2020
- Ggplot2: Elegant Graphics for Data Analysis.Springer-Verlag New York, 2016
- Surviving colorectal cancer: long-term, persistent ostomy-specific concerns and adaptations.J Wound Ostomy Cont Nurs Off Publ Wound Ostomy Cont Nurses Soc WOCN. 2013; 40: 61-72https://doi.org/10.1097/WON.0b013e3182750143
- Factors affecting ostomy-related complications in Korea.J Wound, Ostomy Cont Nurs. 2010; 37: 166-172https://doi.org/10.1097/WON.0b013e3181cf7b76
- A prospective audit of stomas-analysis of risk factors and complications and their management.Colorectal Dis. 2003; 5: 49-52https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1463-1318.2003.00403.x
- Evaluation of the end colostomy complications and the risk factors influencing them in Iranian patients.Colorectal Dis. 2005; 7: 582-587https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1463-1318.2005.00878.x
- Changes in body mass index and stoma related problems in the elderly.J Geriatr Oncol. 2013; 4: 84-89https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgo.2012.10.172
- Study of peristomal skin disorders in patients with permanent stomas.Br J Nurs. 2006; 15: 854-862https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2006.15.16.21848
- Salt and water absorption in the human colon: a modern appraisal.Gut. 1998; 43: 294-299https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.43.2.294
- Factors associated with stoma quality of life among stoma patients.Int J Nurs Sci. 2014; 1: 196-201https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnss.2014.05.007
- Self-esteem and health-related quality of life in ostomized patients.Rev Bras Enferm. 2017; 70: 271-278https://doi.org/10.1590/0034-7167-2016-0161
- Gender differences in sleep disruption and fatigue on quality of life among persons with ostomies.J Clin Sleep Med. 2009; 5: 335-343https://doi.org/10.5664/jcsm.27544
- Sexual functioning after ostomy surgery.Sex Marital Ther. 1991; 6: 195-207https://doi.org/10.1080/02674659108406534
- A cross-sectional survey of quality of life in colostomates: a report from Iran.Health Qual Life Outcome. 2012; 10: 136https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-10-136
Published online: September 24, 2021
Accepted: September 23, 2021
Received in revised form: June 29, 2021
Received: January 19, 2021
© 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.