- •Centralization of pancreatic cancer surgery has been shown to improve outcomes.
- •We centralized surgeries, oncology, gastroenterology, and interventional radiology.
- •Median length of survival improved by 3 months.
- •25% more patients had >16 lymph nodes removed.
- •30% of patients received neoadjuvant therapy, from 10% pre-centralization.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global cancer statistics 2020: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA A Cancer J Clin. 2021; 71: 209-249
- Lifetime Risk (Percent) of Being Diagnosed with Cancer by Site and Race/Ethnicity: Both Sexes, 18 SEER Areas, 2013-2015 (Table 1.15).2021https://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2015/results_merged/topic_lifetime_risk.pdfDate accessed: December 19, 2018
- Improving outcome for patients with pancreatic cancer through centralization.Br J Surg. 2011; 98: 1455-1462
- Dutch Pancreatic Cancer Group. Impact of nationwide centralization of pancreaticoduodenectomy on hospital mortality.Br J Surg. 2012; 99: 404-410
- Long-term survival is superior after resection for cancer in high volume centers.Ann Surg. 2005; 242: 540-544
- Centralization of high-risk cancer surgery within existing hospital systems.J Clin Oncol. 2019 Dec 1; 37: 3234-3242
- Centralization of pancreatic surgery in europe.J Gastrointest Surg. 2019 Oct; 23: 2081-2092
- Impact of centralization of pancreatic cancer surgery on resection rates and survival.Br J Surg. 2014 Jul; 101: 1000-1005
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy in Florida: do 20-year trends document the salutary benefits of centralization of care?.HPB. 2015 Sep; 17: 832-838
- In-hospital mortality and failure to rescue following hepatobiliary surgery in Germany - a nationwide analysis.BMC Surg. 2020 Jul 29; 20: 171
- Relationship between hospital volume, system clinical resources, and mortality in pancreatic resection.J Am Coll Surg. 2009 Apr; 208: 520-527
- Surgeon volume and operative mortality in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 2117-2127
- Nodal counts and lymph node ratio impacts survival after distal pancreactomy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma.J Gastrointest Surg. 2012; 16: 920-926
- The impact of lymph node number on survival in patients with lymph node-negative panreatic cancer.Pancreas. 2008; 37: 19-34
- Greater lymph node retrieval and lymph node ratio impacts survival in resected pancreatic cancer.J Surg Res. 2017 Dec; 220: 12-24
- Role of lymphadenectomy, adjuvant chemotherapy, and treatment at high-volume centers in patients with resected pancreatic cancer-a distinct view on lymph node yield.Langenbeck's Arch Surg. 2020 Feb; 405: 43-54
- A prospective randomized trial comparing standard pancreaticoduodenctomy with pancreaticoduodenectomy with extended lymphadenectomy in resectable pancreatic head adenocarcinoma.Surgery. 2005; 138 (618-2)
- Standard versus extended lymphadenectomy associated with pancreaticoduodenectomy in the surgical treatment of adenocarinoma of head of the pancreas: a multicenter, prospective, randomized study. Lymphadenectomy study group.Ann Surg. 1998; 228: 508-517
- Oncological benefits of neoadjuvant chemoradiation with gemcitabine versus upfront surgery in patients with borderline resectable pancreatic cancer: a prospective, randomized, open-label, multicenter phase 2/3 trial.Ann Surg. 2018 Aug; 268: 215-222
- Neoadjuvant treatment of pancreatic adenocarcinoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis of 5520 patients.World J Surg Oncol. 2017 Oct 10; 15: 183
- Dutch pancreatic cancer group. Preoperative chemoradiotherapy versus immediate surgery for resectable and borderline resectable pancreatic cancer: results of the Dutch randomized phase III PREOPANC trial.J Clin Oncol. 2020 Jun 1; 38: 1763-1773
- Impact of resection margin status on survival in pancreatic cancer patients after neoadjuvant treatment and pancreatoduodenectomy.Surgery. 2020 May; 167: 803-811
- Impact of resection margin status on recurrence and survival in pancreatic cancer surgery.Br J Surg. 2019 Jul; 106: 1055-1065
- Toward a consensus on centralization in surgery.Ann Surg. 2018 Nov; 268: 712-724