- •Retrospective review of prospectively collected ACS-NSQIP Thyroidectomy database.
- •Of 6942 patients undergoing thyroidectomy, 4269 used intraoperative neuromonitoring.
- •Similar rate of overall nerve injury in intraoperative nerve monitor use and without.
- •Nerve monitoring was associated with decreased odds of severe nerve injury.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
- Epidemiological and economic trends in inpatient and outpatient thyroidectomy in the United States, 1996-2006.Thyroid. 2013; 23: 727-733
Cancer stat facts: thyroid cancer. National Cancer Institute. www.seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/thyro.html. Accessed 11.26.2019.
Wirth L, Shah M. Are thyroid cancer incidence and mortality rates truly increasing in the United States? The ASCO post. https://www.ascopost.com/issues/august-10-2017/are-thyroid-cancer-incidence-and-mortality-rates-truly-increasing-in-the-united-states. Accessed 12.15.2019.
Thyroidectomy: the surgeon volume effect. Physician’s Weekly. https://www.physiciansweekly.com/thyroidectomy-the-surgeon-volume-effect. Accessed 12.15.2019.
- Risk of complication following thyroidectomy.J Gen Intern Med. 1998; 13: 24-31
- Malpractice litigation involving iatrogenic surgical vocal fold paralysis: a close-claims review with recommendations for prevention and management.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2009; 118: 6-12
- Incidence and risk factors for injuries to the recurrent laryngeal nerve during neck surgery in the moderate-volume setting.Langenbeck's Arch Surg. 2014; 399: 509-515
- Recurrent laryngeal nerve injury in thyroid surgery.Oman Med J. 2011; 26: 34-38
- Diagnosis of recurrent laryngeal nerve palsy after thyroidectomy: a systematic review.Int J Clin Pract. 2009; 63: 624-629
- Advantages of recurrent laryngeal nerve identification in thyroidectomy and parathyroidectomy and the importance of preoperative and postoperative laryngoscopic examination in more than 1000 nerves at risk.Laryngoscope. 2002; 112: 124-133
- Recurrent laryngeal nerve injury after thyroid and parathyroid surgery: incidence and postoperative evolution assessment.Medicine (Baltim). 2017; 96e6674
- Complete and incomplete recurrent laryngeal nerve injury after thyroid and parathyroid surgery: characterizing paralysis and paresis.Surgery. 2019; 166: 369-374
- Routine dissection and demonstration of recurrent laryngeal nerves in subtotal thyroidectomy.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1938; 66: 775-777
- Identification of the recurrent laryngeal nerve.Arch Surg. 1966; 92: 861-864
- Pitfalls of intraoperative neuromonitoring for predicting postoperative recurrent laryngeal nerve function during thyroidectomy.World J Surg. 2006; 30: 806-812
- Intraoperative neuromonitoring for surgery for benign goiter.Am J Surg. 2002; 183: 673-678
- Intraoperative neuromonitoring versus visual nerve identification for prevention of recurrent laryngeal nerve injury in adults undergoing thyroid surgery.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019; 1: CD012483
- Recurrent nerve palsy after thyroid operations – principal nerve identification and a literature review.Surgery. 1994; : 115139-115144
- Intraoperative recurrent laryngeal nerve monitoring in thyroid surgery: is it worth the cost?.Oshsner J. 2012; 12: 363-366
- Examining national outcomes after thyroidectomy with nerve monitoring.J Am Coll Surg. 2014; 219: 765-770
- Management of bilateral recurrent laryngeal nerve paresis after thyroidectomy.Anesth Essays Res. 2015; 9: 251-253
- Risk factors of paralysis and functional outcome after recurrent laryngeal nerve monitoring in thyroid surgery.Surgery. 2004; 136: 1310-1322
- Randomized clinical trial of visualization versus neuromonitoring of recurrent laryngeal nerves during thyroidectomy.Br J Surg. 2009; 96: 240-246
- Systematic review with meta-analysis of studies comparing intraoperative neuromonitoring of recurrent laryngeal nerves versus visualization alone during thyroidectomy.J Surg Res. 2014; 188: 152-161
- Evaluation of intraoperative recurrent nerve monitoring in thyroid surgery.World J Surg. 2004; 28: 589-591
- Incidence of vocal cord paralysis with and without recurrent laryngeal nerve monitoring during thyroidectomy.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007; 133: 481-485
- Recurrent laryngeal nerve monitoring versus identification alone on post-thyroidectomy true vocal fold palsy: a meta-analysis.Laryngology. 2011; 121: 1009-1017
- Bilateral recurrent laryngeal nerve injury in a specialized thyroid surgery unit: would routine intraoperative neuromonitoring alter outcomes?.ANZ J Surg. 2017; 87: 364-367
- Protective effects of intraoperative nerve monitoring (IONM) for recurrent laryngeal nerve injury in thyroidectomy: meta-analysis.Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 7761
- Continuous intraoperative neuromonitoring in thyroid surgery.Surg Technol Int. 2015; 27: 79-85
American College of Surgeons (ACS) National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP) and the hospitals participating in the ACS NSQIP are the source of the data used herein; they have not verified and are not responsible for the statistical validity of the data analysis or the conclusions derived by the authors.