- •Significant heterogeneity existed for prevalence not explained by specialty.
- •Overall attrition in trainees in difficulty was 18%.
- •Trainees in difficulty had lower odds of board certification.
- •Attrition was not found to be different in trainees in difficulty.
- •Standardized criteria and better reporting of outcome is necessary.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Problem residents": prevalence, problems and remediation in the era of core competencies.Am J Med. 2012; 125: 421-425https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2011.12.008
- Problem neurology residents: a national survey.Neurology. 2011; 76: 2119-2123https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0b013e31821f4636
- Resident in difficulty: a personal story.Fam Med. 2016; 48: 391-392
- Does it cost more to train residents or to replace them? A look at the costs and benefits of operating graduate medical education programs.([May 7, 2021]; Available from:)
- Influence of student loan debt on general surgery resident career and lifestyle decision-making.J Am Coll Surg. 2020; 230: 173-181
- Identification of high-risk residents.J Surg Res. 2000; 92: 239-244https://doi.org/10.1006/jsre.2000.5924
- Individualized education plans in medical education.Conn Med. 2011; 75: 537-540
- General surgery resident remediation and attrition: a multi-institutional study.Arch Surg. 2012; 147: 829-833https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.2012.1676
- National survey of internal medicine residency program directors regarding problem residents.J Am Med Assoc. 2000; 284: 1099-1104https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.284.9.1099
- Managing residents in difficulty within CBME residency educational systems: a scoping review.BMC Med Educ. 2020; 20: 235https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-020-02150-0
- Remediation in Canadian medical residency programs: established and emerging best practices.Med Teach. 2019; 41: 28-35https://doi.org/10.1080/0142159x.2018.1436164
- Remediation of underperformance in surgical trainees – a scoping review.J Surg Educ. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2020.10.010
- Better standards, better physicians, better care.(Available from:)https://www.royalcollege.ca/rcsite/canmeds/canmeds-framework-eDate: September 11, 2021
- Orthopaedic resident remediation: frequency, interventions, and outcomes.JB JS Open Access. 2018; 3e0011https://doi.org/10.2106/jbjs.Oa.18.00011
- Evaluation, feedback, and remediation in anesthesiology residency training: a survey of 124 United States programs.J Clin Anesth. 1999; 11: 519-527https://doi.org/10.1016/S0952-8180%2899%2900084-7
- Remediation in the context of the competencies: a survey of pediatrics residency program directors.J Grad Med Educ. 2013; 5: 60-63https://doi.org/10.4300/jgme-d-12-00024.1
- Remediation practices for surgery residents.Am J Surg. 2009; 197: 397-402https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2008.10.008
- Remediation of problematic residents–A national survey.Laryngoscope. 2016; 126: 834-838https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.25599
- Patterns and predictions of resident misbehavior-A 10-year retrospective look.Curr Surg. 2006; 63: 418-425https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cursur.2006.05.004
- The nature of general surgery resident performance problems.Surgery. 2009; 145: 651-658https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2009.01.019
- What is the prevalence and success of remediation of emergency medicine residents?.West J Emerg Med. 2015; 16: 839-844https://doi.org/10.5811/westjem.2015.9.27357
- Effect of performance deficiencies on graduation and board certification rates: a 10-yr multicenter study of anesthesiology residents.Anesthesiology. 2016; 125: 221-229https://doi.org/10.1097/aln.0000000000001142
- Prevalence, management, and outcome of problem residents among neurosurgical training programs in the United States.J Neurosurg. 2018; 130: 322-326https://doi.org/10.3171/2017.8.Jns171719
- Ophthalmology resident surgical competency. a national survey.Ophthalmology. 2006; 113: 1237-1244https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2006.03.026
- Improving applicant selection: identifying qualities of the unsuccessful otolaryngology resident.Laryngoscope. 2015; 125: 842-847https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.24860
- Assessment of operative competency in otolaryngology residency: survey of US program directors.Laryngoscope. 2008; 118: 1761-1764
- What does remediation and probation status mean? a survey of emergency medicine residency program directors.Acad Emerg Med. 2015; 22: 113-116https://doi.org/10.1111/acem.12559
- How resident unprofessional behavior is identified and managed: a program director survey.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 198 (692.e691-695)
- A method for defining competency-based promotion criteria for family medicine residents.Acad Med. 2005; 80: 832-839https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-200509000-00010
- Residents in trouble: an in-depth assessment of the 25-year experience of a single family medicine residency.Fam Med. 2006; 38: 252-257
- Remedial program for diagnostic radiology residents.Invest Radiol. 1993; 28: 269-274
- Comprehensive assessment of struggling learners referred to a graduate medical education remediation program.J Grad Med Educ. 2017; 9: 763-767https://doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-17-00175.1
- Remediation of residents in difficulty: a retrospective 10-year review of the experience of a postgraduate board of examiners.Acad Med. 2013; 88: 111-116https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0b013e3182764cb6
- Learner deficits and academic outcomes of medical students, residents, fellows, and attending physicians referred to a remediation program, 2006-2012.Acad Med. 2014; 89: 352-358https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000000122
- Remediation plans in family medicine residency.Can Fam Physician. 2015; 61: e425-e434
- Individualized remediation during fellowship training.J Clin Anesth. 2016; 34: 452-458https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinane.2016.04.004
- Interventions for undergraduate and postgraduate medical learners with academic difficulties: a BEME systematic review: BEME Guide No. 56.Med Teach. 2019; 41: 981-1001https://doi.org/10.1080/0142159x.2019.1596239