- •Black women experience treatment delays for non-metastatic breast cancer more frequently than white women.
- •Women in metro areas experience treatment delay more than women in rural areas.
- •Lower education and higher income were associated with treatment delay.
- •Improving access to timely treatment may lessen sociodemographic breast cancer disparities.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Differences in breast cancer incidence among young women aged 20–49 years by stage and tumor characteristics, age, race, and ethnicity, 2004–2013.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018; 169: 595https://doi.org/10.1007/S10549-018-4699-9
- Impact of delayed treatment in women diagnosed with breast cancer: a population-based study.Cancer Med. 2020; 9: 2435https://doi.org/10.1002/CAM4.2830
- To be young, Black, and living with breast cancer: a systematic review of health-related quality of life in young Black breast cancer survivors.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016; (Published online)https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-016-3963-0
- Effects of breast cancer surgery and surgical side effects on body image over time.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010; 126 (2010 1261): 167-176https://doi.org/10.1007/S10549-010-1077-7
- Breast cancer after augmentation: oncologic and reconstructive considerations among women undergoing mastectomy.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017; 139: 1240e-1249ehttps://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000003342
- Fertility in women of reproductive age after breast cancer treatment: practice patterns and outcomes.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 3175-3181https://doi.org/10.1245/S10434-016-5308-Y
- Uptake, results, and outcomes of germline multiple-gene sequencing after diagnosis of breast cancer.JAMA Oncol. 2018; 4: 1066-1072https://doi.org/10.1001/JAMAONCOL.2018.0644
- Financial worry and psychological distress among cancer survivors in the United States, 2013—2018.Support Care Cancer. 2021; (Published online)https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-021-06084-1
- The psychosocial impact of cancer on older versus younger patients and their families.Cancer. 1994; (Published online)https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19941001)74:7+<2118::AID-CNCR2820741720>3.0.CO;2-N
- Delays in breast cancer diagnosis and treatment by racial/ethnic group.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 2244-2252https://doi.org/10.1001/ARCHINTE.166.20.2244
- Treatment delays in older women with nonmetastatic breast cancer treated at minority-serving hospitals.J Clin Oncol. 2021; 39 (122–122)https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2020.39.28_SUPPL.122
- Delayed initiation of adjuvant chemotherapy in older women with breast cancer.Cancer Med. 2020; 9: 6961-6971https://doi.org/10.1002/CAM4.3363
- Time to surgery among women treated with neoadjuvant systemic therapy and upfront surgery for breast cancer.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2021; 186: 535-550https://doi.org/10.1007/S10549-020-06012-7
- Systemic therapy for patients with advanced human epidermal growth factor receptor 2–positive breast cancer: ASCO Clinical Practice Guideline Update.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 2736-2740https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2018.79.2697
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy, endocrine therapy, and targeted therapy for breast cancer: ASCO guideline.J Clin Oncol. 2021; 39: 1485-1505https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.20.03399
- Epidemiology, genetics, and risk evaluation of postmenopausal women at risk of breast cancer.Menopause. 2008; 15: 782-789https://doi.org/10.1097/GME.0B013E3181788D88
- Disparities in breast cancer treatment and outcomes: biological, social, and health system determinants and opportunities for research.Oncologist. 2013; 18: 986https://doi.org/10.1634/THEONCOLOGIST.2013-0243
- Health disparities and triple-negative breast cancer in african American women a review.JAMA Surg. 2017; (Published online)https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2017.0005
- Differences in breast cancer stage at diagnosis and cancer-specific survival by race and ethnicity in the United States.JAMA J Am Med Assoc. 2015; (Published online)https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2014.17322
- Breast cancer disparities: socioeconomic factors versus biology.Ann Surg Oncol. 2017; (Published online)https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-017-5977-1
- Increasing Disparities in Breast Cancer Mortality from 1979 to 2010 for US Black Women Aged 20 to 49 Years. vol. 105. 2015: S446-S448https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302297
- Time to surgery and breast cancer survival in the United States.JAMA Oncol. 2016; 2: 330-339https://doi.org/10.1001/JAMAONCOL.2015.4508
- Eradicating racial injustice in medicine - if not now, when? JAMA.J Am Med Assoc. 2020; 324: 451-452https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.12432
- Racial disparities in BRCA testing and cancer risk management across a population-based sample of young breast cancer survivors.Cancer. 2017; 123: 2497-2505https://doi.org/10.1002/CNCR.30621
- Patient-reported causes of distress predict disparities in time to evaluation and time to treatment after breast cancer diagnosis.Cancer. 2021; 127: 757-768https://doi.org/10.1002/CNCR.33310
- Rural reversal? Rural-urban disparities in late-stage cancer risk in Illinois.Cancer. 2009; 115: 2755https://doi.org/10.1002/CNCR.24306
- Complementary medicine, refusal of conventional cancer therapy, and survival among patients with curable cancers.JAMA Oncol. 2018; 4: 1375-1381https://doi.org/10.1001/JAMAONCOL.2018.2487
- Breast cancer diagnosis and treatment after high-deductible insurance enrollment.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 1121https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2017.75.2501
- Vulnerable and less vulnerable women in high-deductible health plans experienced delayed breast cancer care.Health Aff. 2019; 38: 408-415https://doi.org/10.1377/HLTHAFF.2018.05026
- Treatment decisions and employment of breast cancer patients: results of a population-based survey.Cancer. 2017; 123: 4791-4799https://doi.org/10.1002/CNCR.30959
- Factors influencing non-completion of radiotherapy among men with localized prostate cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol. 2020; (Published online)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2020.11.064
- Refusal of surgery for colon cancer: sociodemographic disparities and survival implications among US patients with resectable disease.Am J Surg. 2020; (Published online)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2020.06.020
- Disparities in refusal of locoregional treatment for prostate adenocarcinoma.JCO Oncol Pract. February 25, 2021; (Published online) (OP.20.00839)https://doi.org/10.1200/op.20.00839
- Prostate Cancer Disparities in Risk Group at Presentation and Access to Treatment for Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders: A Study With Disaggregated Ethnic Groups.JCO Oncol. Pract. 2022; 18https://doi.org/10.1200/OP.21.00412
- Relationship of established risk factors with breast cancer subtypes.Cancer Med. 2021; 10: 6456-6467https://doi.org/10.1002/CAM4.4158
- Breast cancer screening recommendations: african American women are at a disadvantage.J Breast Imaging. 2020; 2: 416-421https://doi.org/10.1093/JBI/WBAA067