- •Carcinoid heart disease (CHD) incidence was 14% of patients with metastases and 25% of patients with carcinoid syndrome.
- •CHD patients with valve replacement operations had a 0% operative mortality and yielded longer-term survival rates.
- •Hepatic cytoreduction may reduce the risk of subsequent CHD.
- •Our data do not support a protective effect of octreotide to prevent new or recurrent CHD.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Carcinoid heart disease: from pathophysiology to treatment- ‘something in the way it moves.Neuroendocrinology. 2015; Apr; 101: 263-273
- Long-term serotonin administration induces heart valve disease in rats.Circulation. 2005 Mar; 111: 1517-1522
- Carcinoid heart disease.Heart. 2017 Oct; 103: 1488-1495
- Surgical management of left-sided carcinoid heart disease.Circulation. 2001; Mar; 104: 36-40
- Prognosis of carcinoid heart disease. Analysis of 200 cases over two decades.Circulation. 2005 Nov; 112: 3320-3327
- Carcinoid heart disease.Circulation. 2007; Dec; 116: 2860-2865
- Long-term results of surgery for small intestinal neuroendocrine tumors at a tertiary referral center.World J Surg. 2012 Jun; 36: 1419-1431
- Operative resection of primary neuroendocrine neoams in patients with liver metastases yields significantly better survival.Surgery. 2006; 140: 891-897
- Midgut neuroendocrine tumors with liver metastases; results of the UKINETS study.Endocr Relat Cancer. 2009; 16: 885-894
- Resection of primary neuroendocrine tumors improves survival with or without liver treatment.Ann Surg. 2019; 270: 1131-1137
- The surgical management of small bowel neuroendocrine tumors: consensus guidelines of the North American Neuroendocrine Tumor Society.Pancreas. 2017; 46: 715-731
- Evaluation of the prognosis of N2 status in patients with small bowel neuroendocrine tumors.Am J Surg. 2021 Jun; 221: 1135-1140
- Expanded criteria for carcinoid liver debulking: maintaining survival and increasing the number of eligible patients.Surgery. 2014 Nov; 156: 1369-1376
- Liver-directed surgery of neuroendocrine metastases: what is the optimal strategy?.Surgery. 2016 Jan; 159: 320-333
- Outcomes of cytoreductive operations for peritoneal carcinomatosis with or without liver cytoreduction in patients with small bowel neuroendocrine tumors.Surgery. 2021 Jan; 169: 168-174
- Diagnosing and managing carcinoid heart disease in patients with neuroendocrine tumors: an expert statement.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017 Mar; 69: 1288-1304
- Carcinoid heart disease: diagnosis by two-dimensional echocardiography.Circulation. 1982 Nov; 66: 1059-1065
- Transesophageal echocardiography improves the diagnostic value of cardiac ultrasound in patients with carcinoid heart disease.Br Heart J. 1990 Sep; 64: 190-194
- Carcinoid heart disease clinical and echocardiographic spectrum in 74 patients.Circulation. 1993 Apr; 87: 118-196
- Outcome of cardiac surgery for carcinoid heart disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1995; 25: 410-416
- Therapy of the malignant carcinoid syndrome.Endocrinol Metab Clin N Am. 1989; 18: 557-568
- Early and late outcomes of surgical treatment in carcinoid heart disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015 Nov; 66: 2189-2196
- Role of hepatic resection for patients with carcinoid heart disease.Mayo Clin Proc. 2008 Feb; 83: 143-150
- Surgical treatment of small bowel neuroendocrine tumors.Hematol Oncol Clin N Am. 2016 Feb; 30: 49-61
- Laparoscopic surgical exploration is an effective strategy for locating occult primary neuroendocrine tumors.Am J Surg. 2012 May; 203: 628-631