- •Patients with rib fractures managed with SSRF have similar rates of readmissions and complications of non-operatively managed patients.
- •Surgical stabilization of rib fractures (SSRF) utilization varies widely across institutions.
- •Predictor for risk of SSRF was admission to hospital considered high volume center for rib fixation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The morbidity and mortality of rib fractures.J Trauma. Dec 1994; 37: 975-979https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-199412000-00018
- Rib fractures in the elderly.Curr Wom Health Rep. 2003; 3: 75-80https://doi.org/10.3810/pgm.1998.01.277
- Historic overview of treatment techniques for rib fractures and flail chest.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. Oct 2010; 36: 407-415https://doi.org/10.1007/s00068-010-0046-5
- Surgical stabilization of internal pneumatic stabilization? a prospective randomized study of management of severe flail chest patients.J Trauma. 2002; 52: 727-732https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-200204000-00020
- Surgical fixation vs nonoperative management of flail chest: a meta-analysis.J Am Coll Surg. Feb 2013; 216: 302-311 e1https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2012.10.010
- Surgical stabilization of rib fracture to mitigate pulmonary complication and mortality: a systematic Review and Bayesian meta-analysis.J Am Coll Surg. Feb 2021; 232: 211-219 e2https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2020.10.022
- Surgical versus conservative treatment of flail chest. Evaluation of the pulmonary status.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. Dec 2005; 4: 583-587https://doi.org/10.1510/icvts.2005.111807
- Prospective randomized controlled trial of operative rib fixation in traumatic flail chest.J Am Coll Surg. 2013; 216: 924-932https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2012.12.024
- Evaluation of efficacy and indications of surgical fixation for multiple rib fractures: a propensity-score matched analysis.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2017; 43: 541-547https://doi.org/10.1007/s00068-016-0687-0
- The chest wall injury society recommendations for reporting studies of surgical stabilization of rib fractures.Injury. Jun 2021; 52: 1241-1250https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2021.02.032
De Moya M, Nirula R, Biffl W. Rib fixation: who, what, when? doi:10.1136/tsaco.
- Rib fracture repair: indications, technical issues, and future directions.World J Surg. Jan 2009; 33: 14-22https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-008-9770-y
- A multicenter, prospective, controlled clinical trial of surgical stabilization of rib fractures in patients with severe, nonflail fracture patterns (Chest Wall Injury Society NONFLAIL).J Trauma Acute Care Surg. Feb 2020; 88: 249-257https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000002559
- Operative fixation ofchest wall fractures: an underused procedure?.Am Surg. 2007; 73
- Quantifying and exploring the recent national increase in surgical stabilization of rib fractures.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. Dec 2017; 83: 1047-1052https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000001648
- Surveyed opinion of American trauma, orthopedic, and thoracic surgeons on rib and sternal fracture repair.J Trauma Inj Infect Crit Care. 2009; 66: 875-879https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e318190c3d3
- Effectiveness of surgical rib fixation on prolonged mechanical ventilation in patients with traumatic rib fractures: a propensity score-matched analysis.J Crit Care. Dec 2015; 30: 1227-1231https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrc.2015.07.027
- Surgical stabilization of rib fractures is associated with improved survival but increased acute respiratory distress syndrome.Surgery. Jun 2021; 169: 1525-1531https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2020.12.010
- Long-term follow-up after rib fixation for flail chest and multiple rib fractures.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2019; 45: 645-654https://doi.org/10.1007/s00068-018-1009-5
- Readmission following surgical stabilization of rib fractures: analysis of incidence, cost, and risk factors utilizing the nationwide readmissions database.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. Apr 12 2021; https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000003227