- •The prevalence of new-onset DM and IFG in patients with NF-PNENs are relatively high.
- •Preoperative new-onset DM and IFG are associated with aggressive tumor behavior and poor prognosis in patients with NF-PNENs.
- •Preoperative longstanding DM is not associated with tumor malignancy or survival of NF-PNENs.
- •Metformin use may not influence the prognosis of NF-PNENs with DM.
Abbreviations:PNENs (Pancreatic neuroendocrine neoplasms), NF-PNENs (Non-functional pancreatic neuroendocrine neoplasms), DM (Diabetes mellitus), IFG (Impaired fasting glucose)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- ENETS consensus guidelines update for the management of patients with functional pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors and non-functional pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors.Neuroendocrinology. 2016; 103: 153-171
- Exploring the rising incidence of neuroendocrine tumors: a population-based analysis of epidemiology, metastatic presentation, and outcomes.Cancer. 2015; 121: 589-597
- Trends in the incidence, prevalence, and survival outcomes in patients with neuroendocrine tumors in the United States.JAMA Oncol. 2017; 3: 1335-1342
- Predicting aggressive behavior in nonfunctional pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors with emphasis on tumor size significance and survival trends: a population-based analysis of 1787 patients.Am Surg. 2020; 86: 458-466
- Recurrence of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors and survival predicted by Ki67.Ann Surg Oncol. 2018; 25: 2467-2474
- The evolution of surgical strategies for pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (Pan-NENs): time-trend and outcome analysis from 587 consecutive resections at a high-volume institution.Ann Surg. 2019; 269: 725-732
- Outcome of surgery for pancreatic neuroendocrine neoplasms.Br J Surg. 2014; 101: 1405-1412
- Meta-analysis of prognostic factors for recurrence of resected well-differentiated pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors.Neuroendocrinology. 2021; 111: 1231-1237
- Long-term all-cause mortality in cancer patients with preexisting diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2008; 300: 2754-2764
- Diabetes and cancer: a consensus report.Ca - Cancer J Clin. 2010; 60: 207-221
- Prevalence and clinical profile of pancreatic cancer-associated diabetes mellitus.Gastroenterology. 2008; 134: 981-987
- Preoperative diabetes mellitus and long-term survival after resection of pancreatic adenocarcinoma.Ann Surg Oncol. 2010; 17: 502-513
- Risk factors for sporadic pancreatic endocrine tumors: a case-control study of prospectively evaluated patients.Am J Gastroenterol. 2009; 104: 3034-3041
- Risk factors for sporadic pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: a case-control study.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 36073
- Diabetes mellitus and risk of pancreatic cancer: a meta-analysis of cohort studies.Eur J Cancer. 2011; 47: 1928-1937
- Risk factors for neuroendocrine neoplasms: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Oncol. 2016; 27: 68-81
- Pre-operative dysglycemia is associated with decreased survival in patients with pancreatic neuroendocrine neoplasms.Surgery. 2020; 167: 575-580
- Impact of metformin on systemic metabolism and survival of patients with advanced pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors.Front Oncol. 2019; 9: 902
- Metformin use is associated with longer progression-free survival of patients with diabetes and pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors receiving everolimus and/or somatostatin analogues.Gastroenterology. 2018; 155: 479-489 e477
- New insights into pancreatic cancer-induced paraneoplastic diabetes.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013; 10: 423-433
- Diabetes in patients with pancreatic neuroendocrine neoplasms.Front Endocrinol. 2020; : 11
- Global trends in diabetes complications: a review of current evidence.Diabetologia. 2019; 62: 3-16
- Epidemiology of diabetes and diabetic complications in China.Diabetologia. 2018; 61: 1249-1260
- Diabetes is associated with the metastasis of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors.Pancreas. 2020; 49: 751-756
- High pre-operative fasting blood glucose levels predict a poor prognosis in patients with pancreatic neuroendocrine tumour.Endocrine. 2020; 71: 494-501
- The association between fasting blood glucose and the risk of primary liver cancer in Chinese males: a population-based prospective study.Br J Cancer. 2017; 117: 1405-1411
- The postoperative occurrence or worsening of diabetes mellitus may increase the risk of recurrence in resected pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors.Neuroendocrinology. 2020; 110: 967-976
- Pancreatic nonfunctioning neuroendocrine tumor with the main pancreatic duct obstruction presenting as excessive hyperglycemia: a case report and review of the literature.Pancreas. 2012; 41: 160-163
- Incidence and prognostic value of serotonin secretion in pancreatic neuroendocrine tumours.Clin Endocrinol. 2017; 87: 165-170
- Prediction model for the onset risk of impaired fasting glucose: a 10-year longitudinal retrospective cohort health check-up study.BMC Endocr Disord. 2021; 21: 211
- Risk and protective factors for the occurrence of sporadic pancreatic endocrine neoplasms.Endocr Relat Cancer. 2017; 24: 405-414