- •Pregnant surgical trainees are subject to both social and environmental risks due to their occupation.
- •Environmental risks to surgical trainees include exposure to radiation, chemicals, communicable diseases, anesthetic gases, and long work hours.
- •Social risks that pregnant surgeons face include lack of mentorship, negative attitudes or microaggressions from colleagues, and inadequate parental leave.
- •Training programs as well as surgical employers have the responsibility to protect the wellbeing of their female surgeons who are pregnant or planning families.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Gender inequality and harassment remain a challenge in surgery.Bulletin. 2019; (Published September 1)https://bulletin.facs.org/2019/09/2018-acs-governors-survey-gender-inequality-and-harassment-remain-a-challenge-in-surgery/Date accessed: June 3, 2020
- Occupational hazards to the pregnant orthopaedic surgeon.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011; 93: e1411-1415https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.K.00061
- Pregnancy and parental leave during graduate medical education.Acad Med J Assoc Am Med Coll. 2016; 91: 972-978https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000001006
- Childbearing and pregnancy characteristics of female orthopaedic surgeons.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012; 94: e77https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.K.00707
- The perception of pregnancy and parenthood among female orthopaedic surgery residents.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2019; 27: 527-532https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-D-18-00216
- The impact of parental leave on extending training and entering the board certification examination process: a specialty-based comparison.Mayo Clin Proc. 2006; 81: 1449-1453https://doi.org/10.4065/81.11.1449
Statistics overview | statistics center | HIV/AIDS | CDC. Published June 8, 2020. Accessed October 14, 2020. https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/overview/index.html.
- Risk of blood contamination and injury to operating room personnel.Ann Surg. 1991; 214: 614-620https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-199111000-00012
- Occupational hazards for pregnant or lactating women in the orthopaedic operating room.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014; 22: 326-332https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-22-05-326
- Prevention of perinatally transmitted hepatitis B virus infections with hepatitis B immune globulin and hepatitis B vaccine.Lancet Lond Engl. 1983; 2: 1099-1102https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(83)90624-4
- #38: hepatitis B in pregnancy screening, treatment, and prevention of vertical transmission.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 6-14https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2015.09.100
- Vertical transmission of hepatitis C virus: systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Infect Dis Off Publ Infect Dis Soc Am. 2014; 59: 765-773https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciu447
- Update on nitrous oxide and its use in anesthesia practice.Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2018; 32: 113-123https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpa.2018.06.003
- Elevated Waste anaesthetic gas concentration in the paediatric post-anaesthesia care unit.Turk J Anaesthesiol Reanim. 2018; 46: 362-366https://doi.org/10.5152/TJAR.2018.35683
Maran: Infertility among female hospital doctors in the UK - google Scholar. Accessed October 22, 2019. https://scholar.google.com/scholar_lookup?title=Infertility%20among%20female%20hospital%20doctors%20in%20the%20UK&author=NJ.%20Maran&author=RP.%20Knill-Jones&author=AA.%20Spence&journal=Br%20J%20Anaesth&volume=76&pages=581P-581P&publication_year=1996.
- Prevalence of cancer in female orthopaedic surgeons in the United States.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010; 92: 240-244https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.H.01691
- Prenatal exposure to ionizing radiation: sources, effects and regulatory aspects.Acta Paediatr Oslo Nor 1992. 1999; 88: 693-702https://doi.org/10.1080/08035259950168919
- The lesser spotted pregnant surgeon.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2017; (Published online October 19): 1-4https://doi.org/10.1308/rcsann.2017.0177
- Occupational radiation exposure and pregnancy in orthopaedics.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012; 94: 23-27https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.94B1.27689
Ionising radiation: dose comparisons. GOV.UK. Accessed June 3, 2020. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/ionising-radiation-dose-comparisons/ionising-radiation-dose-comparisons..
- Comparison of operator radiation exposure between C-arm and O-arm fluoroscopy for orthopaedic surgery.Radiat Protect Dosim. 2012; 148: 431-438https://doi.org/10.1093/rpd/ncr149
- Prospective comparative study in spine surgery between O-arm and airo systems: efficacy and radiation exposure.World Neurosurg. 2018; 118: e175-e184https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wneu.2018.06.148
- Skill dependence of radiation exposure for the orthopaedic surgeon during interlocking nailing of long-bone shaft fractures: a clinical study.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2004; 124: 659-664https://doi.org/10.1007/s00402-004-0743-9
- Does surgeon experience influence the amount of radiation exposure during orthopedic procedures? A systematic review.Orthop Rev. 2019; 11https://doi.org/10.4081/or.2019.7667
- Radiation exposure during fluoroscopically assisted pedicle screw insertion in the lumbar spine.Spine. 2000; 25: 1538-1541https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200006150-00013
- Dosimetry during intramedullary nailing of the tibia.Acta Orthop. 2009; 80: 568-572https://doi.org/10.3109/17453670903350057
- Comparison of free-hand fluoroscopic guidance and electromagnetic navigation in distal locking of femoral intramedullary nails.Medicine (Baltim). 2017; 96e7450https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000007450
- Assessment of radiation protection in hand-shielding products with mini C-arm fluoroscopy.Handb Neuropsychol N. 2019; (Published online August 12,)1558944719865937https://doi.org/10.1177/1558944719865937
- Work with Ionising Radiation: Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017.2018
- Serum and breast milk levels of methylmethacrylate following surgeon exposure during arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006; 88: 1957-1961https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.F.00089
Document display | NEPIS | US EPA. Accessed May 5, 2020. https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyNET.exe/P1006D1N.TXT?ZyActionD=ZyDocument&Client=EPA&Index=1995+Thru+1999&Docs=&Query=&Time=&EndTime=&SearchMethod=1&TocRestrict=n&Toc=&TocEntry=&QField=&QFieldYear=&QFieldMonth=&QFieldDay=&IntQFieldOp=0&ExtQFieldOp=0&XmlQuery=&File=D%3A%5Czyfiles%5CIndex%20Data%5C95thru99%5CTxt%5C00000025%5CP1006D1N.txt&User=ANONYMOUS&Password=anonymous&SortMethod=h%7C-&MaximumDocuments=1&FuzzyDegree=0&ImageQuality=r75g8/r75g8/x150y150g16/i425&Display=hpfr&DefSeekPage=x&SearchBack=ZyActionL&Back=ZyActionS&BackDesc=Results%20page&MaximumPages=1&ZyEntry=1&SeekPage=x&ZyPURL.
- Embryonic-fetal toxicity and teratogenic effects of a group of methacrylate esters in rats.J Dent Res. 1972; 51: 1632-1638https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345720510062201
- Methyl methacrylate: inhalation developmental toxicity study in rats.Teratology. 1993; 48: 115-125https://doi.org/10.1002/tera.1420480205
- Methylmethacrylate: a study of teratogenicity and fetal toxocity of the vapor in the mouse.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1978; 60: 355-358
- Efficacy of vacuum bone cement mixing systems in reducing methylmethacrylate fume exposure: comparison of 7 different mixing devices and handmixing.Acta Orthop Scand. 2004; 75: 559-566https://doi.org/10.1080/00016470410001420
- The use and handling of acrylic bone cement in Danish orthopaedic departments.Pharmacol Toxicol. 1993; 72: 332-335https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0773.1993.tb01659.x
- Exposure of medical personnel to methylmethacrylate vapor during percutaneous vertebroplasty.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1999; 20: 352-353
- Evidence of health risks associated with prolonged standing at work and intervention effectiveness.Rehabil Nurs Off J Assoc Rehabil Nurses. 2015; 40: 148-165https://doi.org/10.1002/rnj.166
- Physically demanding work, fetal growth and the risk of adverse birth outcomes. The Generation R Study.Occup Environ Med. 2012; 69: 543-550https://doi.org/10.1136/oemed-2011-100615
- Do standing, lifting, climbing, or long hours of work during pregnancy have an effect on fetal growth?.Epidemiol Camb Mass. 1997; 8: 530-536https://doi.org/10.1097/00001648-199709000-00010
- Work activity in pregnancy, preventive measures, and the risk of preterm delivery.Am J Epidemiol. 2007; 166: 951-965https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwm171
- Role of maternal occupational physical activity and psychosocial stressors on adverse birth outcomes.Occup Environ Med. 2017; 74: 192-199https://doi.org/10.1136/oemed-2016-103715
- Physical work performed by surgeons during orthopaedic operations.Acta Orthop Scand. 1975; 46: 31-37https://doi.org/10.3109/17453677508989189
- Stresses on women physicians: consequences and coping techniques.Depress Anxiety. 2003; 17: 180-189https://doi.org/10.1002/da.10069
- Sources of stress and support for the pregnant resident.Acad Med J Assoc Am Med Coll. 1992; 67: 408-410https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-199206000-00014
- Maternity leave in residency: a multicenter study of determinants and wellness outcomes.Acad Med J Assoc Am Med Coll. 2019; 94: 1738-1745https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000002780
- Life events during surgical residency have different effects on women and men over time.Surgery. 2013; 154: 162-170https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2013.03.014
Finch SJ. Pregnancy during residency: a literature review. Acad Med J Assoc Am Med Coll. 2003;78(4):418-428. doi:10.1097/00001888-200304000-00021.
- Childbearing and child care in surgery.Arch Surg Chic Ill 1960. 2001; 136: 649-655https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.136.6.649
- Surgical trainees' experience of pregnancy, maternity and paternity leave: a cross-sectional study.Postgrad Med. 2019; 95: 552-557https://doi.org/10.1136/postgradmedj-2018-135952
- Motherhood during residency training: challenges and strategies.Can Fam Physician Med Fam Can. 2005; 51: 990-991
- The work lives of women physicians results from the physician work life study. The SGIM Career Satisfaction Study Group.J Gen Intern Med. 2000; 15: 372-380
- The association between pregnancy and COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Emerg Med. 2022; 56: 188-195
- High rates of stillbirth and preterm delivery in women with covid-19 and the efficacy of ECMO in pregnancy.BMJ. 2020; 370m2921
- Stillbirth after COVID-19 in unvaccinated mothers can result from SARS-CoV-placentitis, placental insufficiency, and hypoxic ischemic fetal demise, not direct fetal infection: potential role of maternal vaccination in pregnancy.Viruses. 2022; 14https://doi.org/10.3390/v14030458
- Effectiveness of maternal vaccination with mRNA COVID-19 vaccine during pregnancy against COVID-19-associated hospitalization in infants aged <6 Months - 17 States, july 2021-january 2022.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2022; 71 (Overcoming, C.-N.): 264-270https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm7107e3
- Maternal and neonatal SARS-CoV-2 immunoglobulin G antibody levels at delivery after receipt of the BNT162b2 messenger RNA COVID-19 vaccine during the second trimester of pregnancy.JAMA Pediatr. 2022; 176: 290-295https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2021.5683
- COVID-19 mRNA vaccine in pregnancy and newborn passive immunization: a case report.Future Sci OA. 2022; 8FSO761https://doi.org/10.2144/fsoa-2021-0043