- •As CT image quality improves, smaller traumatic injuries are increasingly being identified.
- •Grade I blunt thoracic aortic injuries do not require immediate repair nor worsen to require later operative intervention.
- •Thus, close surveillance imaging is not necessary for grade I injuries.
Abbreviations:BTAI (blunt thoracic aortic injury), SVS (Society of Vascular Surgery), CTA (CT angiography)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Functional and survival outcomes in traumatic blunt thoracic aortic injuries: an analysis of the National Trauma Databank.J Vasc Surg. 2009; 49: 988-994
- Blunt aortic injury.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 1708-1716
- Blunt thoracic aortic injury.J Cardiothorac Trauma. 2018; 3: 11-18
- Blunt traumatic aortic injury: initial experience with endovascular repair.J Vasc Surg. 2009; 49: 1403-1408
- Endovascular repair of traumatic thoracic aortic injury: clinical practice guidelines of the Society for Vascular Surgery.J Vasc Surg. 2011; 53: 187-192
- A new classification scheme for treating blunt aortic injury.J Vasc Surg. 2012; 55: 47-54
- Do patients with minimal blunt thoracic aortic injury require thoracic endovascular repair?.J Trauma acute care Surg. 2021; 90: 384-387
- Determinants and outcomes of nonoperative management for blunt traumatic aortic injuries.J Vasc Surg. 2018; 67: 389-398
- Nonpenetrating traumatic injury of the aorta.Circulation. 1958; 17: 1086-1101
- Permissive hypotension in traumatic brain injury with blunt aortic injury: how low can we go?.J Anaesthesiol Clin Pharmacol. 2014; 30: 406-408
- Use of spiral computed tomography for the assessment of blunt trauma patients with potential aortic injury.J Trauma. 1998; 45: 922-930
- Blunt thoracic aortic injury: endovascular repair is now the standard.J Am Coll Surg. 2019; 228: 605-610
- Prospective study of blunt aortic injury: multicenter trial of the American association for the Surgery of trauma.J Trauma acute care Surg. 1997; 42: 374-383
- Call for a new classification system and treatment strategy in blunt aortic injury.J Vasc Surg. 2016; 64: 171-176
- Natural history of grade I-II blunt traumatic aortic injury.J Vasc Surg. 2014; 59: 334-341