- •Functional dependence (FD) is associated with poor postoperative outcomes.
- •FD status is an independent risk factor for post-colectomy complications and death.
- •Patient FD status should be considered when planning colectomy for diverticulitis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Perioperative risk factors for 30-day mortality after bariatric surgery: is functional status important?.Surg Endosc. May 2013; 27: 1772-1777https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-012-2678-5
- Functional status predicts major complications and death after endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms.J Vasc Surg. Sep 2017; 66: 743-750https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2017.01.028
- Risk factors for postoperative complications in total thyroidectomy: a retrospective, risk-adjusted analysis from the national surgical quality improvement program.Medicine (Baltim). Feb 2017; 96e5752https://doi.org/10.1097/md.0000000000005752
- Dependent functional status is a risk factor for perioperative and postoperative complications after total hip arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. Jul 2019; 34: S348-s351https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2018.12.037
- Burden of gastrointestinal disease in the United States: 2012 update.Gastroenterology. Nov 2012; 143 (e3): 1179-1187https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2012.08.002
- Acute diverticulitis: an ongoing economic burden on the health system.ANZ J Surg. Oct 2020; 90: 2046-2049https://doi.org/10.1111/ans.16234
- The effect of adding functional classification to asa status for predicting 30-day mortality.Anesth Analg. Jul 2015; 121: 110-116https://doi.org/10.1213/ane.0000000000000740
- Primary resection with anastomosis vs. Hartmann's procedure in nonelective surgery for acute colonic diverticulitis: a systematic review.Dis Colon Rectum. Jul 2006; 49: 966-981https://doi.org/10.1007/s10350-006-0547-9
- Randomized clinical trial of observational versus antibiotic treatment for a first episode of ct-proven uncomplicated acute diverticulitis.Br J Surg. Jan 2017; 104 (Article): 52-61https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.10309
- The efficacy of nonoperative management of acute complicated diverticulitis.Dis Colon Rectum. Jun 2011; 54 (Article; Proceedings Paper): 663-671https://doi.org/10.1007/DCR.0b013e31820ef759
- Practice parameters for the treatment of sigmoid diverticulitis.Dis Colon Rectum. Mar 2014; 57 (Article): 284-294https://doi.org/10.1097/dcr.0000000000000075
- The american society of colon and rectal surgeons clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of left-sided colonic diverticulitis.Dis Colon Rectum. Jun 2020; 63 (Article): 728-747https://doi.org/10.1097/dcr.0000000000001679
- Surgery for diverticulitis in the 21st century a systematic review.Review. JAMA Surg. Mar 2014; 149: 292-302https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2013.5477
- Functional capacity as a significant independent predictor of postoperative mortality for octogenarian asa-iii patients.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. Oct 2014; 69: 1229-1235https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glu062
- Improving the power of the american society of anesthesiology classification system to risk stratify vascular surgery patients based on national surgical quality improvement project-defined functional status.Ann Vasc Surg. Oct 2018; 52: 153-157https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avsg.2018.04.005
- Open vs minimally invasive approach for emergent colectomy in perforated diverticulitis.Dis Colon Rectum. Mar 1 2021; 64: 319-327https://doi.org/10.1097/dcr.0000000000001805
- Laparoscopic colectomy vs. Open colectomy for sigmoid diverticular disease.Dis Colon Rectum. Oct 2002; 45 (discussion 1314-5): 1309-1314https://doi.org/10.1007/s10350-004-6415-6
- The american society of colon and rectal surgeons clinical practice guidelines for the use of bowel preparation in elective colon and rectal surgery.Dis Colon Rectum. Jan 2019; 62: 3-8https://doi.org/10.1097/dcr.0000000000001238
- [prehabilitation. Preparing patients for surgery to improve functional recovery and reduce postoperative morbidity].Ann fr anesth reanim. © 2013 Société française d’anesthésie et de réanimation (Sfar). vol. 1. Elsevier SAS, 2014: 33-40
- Patients with poor baseline walking capacity are most likely to improve their functional status with multimodal prehabilitation.Surgery. Oct 2016; 160: 1070-1079https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2016.05.036
- Could nutritional and functional status serve as prognostic factors for covid-19 in the elderly?.Med Hypotheses. Nov 2020; 144109946https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2020.109946
- Prehabilitation in head and neck cancer patients: a literature review.J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. Jan 6 2021; 50: 2https://doi.org/10.1186/s40463-020-00486-7
- Improved disease-free survival after prehabilitation for colorectal cancer surgery.Ann Surg. Sep 2019; 270: 493-501https://doi.org/10.1097/sla.0000000000003465