- •Social determinants of health were measured using ICD 9 and 10 codes.
- •5% of patients undergoing colorectal surgery reported a social determinant of health.
- •Social determinants of health were associated with postoperative outcomes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Tips, tricks, and technique for laparoscopic colectomy.Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2017; 30: 130-135https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0036-1597313
- Effect of laparoscopic surgery on health care utilization and costs in patients who undergo colectomy.JAMA Surg. 2015; 150: 410-415https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2014.3171
- Readmission after resections of the colon and rectum: predictors of a costly and common outcome.Dis Colon Rectum. 2015; 58: 1164-1173https://doi.org/10.1097/DCR.0000000000000433
- Causes and prevalence of unplanned readmissions after colorectal surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013; 61: 1175-1181https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.12307
Grunvald MW, Underhill JM, Skertich NJ, et al. Mediating factors between race and time to treatment in colorectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum. Published online December 20, 2021.
- Closing the Gap in a Generation : Health Equity through Action on the Social Determinants of Health: Commission on Social Determinants of Health Final Report.World Health Organization, 2008
Healthy People 2030 [Internet]. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion [cited March 3, 2021]. Available from: https://health.gov/healthypeople.
- The social determinants of health: coming of age.Annu Rev Publ Health. 2011; 32: 381-398https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031210-101218
- How community resources mitigate the association between household poverty and the incidence of adverse childhood experiences.Int J Publ Health. 2019; 64: 1059-1068https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-019-01258-5
- Understanding and addressing social determinants to advance cancer health equity in the United States: a blueprint for practice, research, and policy.CA Cancer J Clin. 2020; 70: 31-46https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21586
- Associations between social risk factors and surgical site infections after colectomy and abdominal hysterectomy.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e1912339https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.12339
- Social determinants of health and their impact on postcolectomy surgery readmissions: a multistate analysis, 2009-2014.J Comp Eff Res. 2019; 8: 1365-1379https://doi.org/10.2217/cer-2019-0114
- The disparity of care and outcomes for Medicaid patients undergoing colectomy.J Surg Res. 2019; 235: 190-201https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2018.09.056
- Disparities in the use of minimally invasive surgery for colorectal disease.J Gastrointest Surg. 2012; 16: 897-904https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-012-1844-3
- Analysis of risk factors for patient readmission 30 Days following discharge from general surgery.JAMA Surg. 2016; 151: 855-861https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2016.1258
- Systematic review of the influence of socioeconomic deprivation on mortality after colorectal surgery.Br J Surg. 2018; 105: 959-970https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.10848
- Social deprivation aggravates postoperative morbidity in carcinologic colorectal surgery: results of the COINCIDE multicenter study [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jul 31].J Vis Surg. 2020; (S1878-7886(20)30212-5)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jviscsurg.2020.07.007
- Association of socioeconomic area deprivation index with hospital readmissions after colon and rectal surgery.J Gastrointest Surg. 2021; 25: 795-808https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-020-04754-9
- https://www.pearldiverinc.com/researchinfo.htmlDate accessed: December 11, 2021
- Medicaid's Role in Addressing Social Determinants of Health.Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 2019https://www.rwjf.org/en/library/research/2019/02/medicaid-s-role-in-addressing-social-determinants-of-health.htmlDate accessed: December 11, 2021
- Association between social determinants of health and postoperative outcomes in patients undergoing single-level lumbar fusions.Spine. 2021; 46: 559-565https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0000000000003829
- Socioeconomic influences on short-term postoperative outcomes in patients with oral cavity cancer undergoing free flap reconstruction.Otolaryngology-Head Neck Surg (Tokyo). May 2021; https://doi.org/10.1177/01945998211012954
- Social determinants of health and their impact on rates of postoperative complications among patients undergoing vertical sleeve gastrectomy [published online ahead of print.Surgery. 2021 Jul 21; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2021.06.023
- Incorporating social determinants of health in electronic health records: qualitative study of current practices among top vendors.JMIR Med Inform. 2019; 7e13849https://doi.org/10.2196/13849
- International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification social determinants of health codes are poorly used in electronic health records.Medicine (Baltim). 2020; 99e23818https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000023818
- Utilization of social determinants of health ICD-10 Z-codes among hospitalized patients in the United States, 2016-2017.Med Care. 2020; 58: 1037-1043https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000001418
- Use of Z-codes to record social determinants of health among fee-for-service Medicare beneficiaries in 2017.J Gen Intern Med. 2020; 35: 952-955https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-019-05199-w
- Z Codes Utilization among Medicare Fee-for-Service (FFS) Beneficiaries in 2017.(CMS OMH Data Highlight No. 18) CMS Office of Minority Health, Baltimore, MD2020
- Health-related social needs and increased readmission rates: findings from the nationwide readmissions database [published online ahead of print, 2021 feb 25].J Gen Intern Med. 2021; (10.1007/s11606-021-06646-3)https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-021-06646-3
- Humana Launches Innovative Value-Based Program to Address Social Determinants of Health.Humana Press Release, 2020
- Social determinants of colorectal cancer risk, stage, and survival: a systematic review.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2020; 35: 985-995https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-020-03585-z
- [does the electronic health record reflect the social determinants of health from primary health care? ].Atención Primaria. 2021; 53: 36-42
- Sensitivity and specificity of real-world social factor screening approaches.J Med Syst. 2021; 45: 111