- •Total pancreatectomy with islet autotransplantation (TPIAT) is an effective treatment for refractory chronic pancreatitis.
- •Currently more than 90% of the surgical procedure involves splenectomy which may contribute to postoperative complications.
- •We report that complete spleen preservation during surgical procedure does not affect islet yield and graft function.
- •Results from this analysis should advance the current practice of TPIAT and guide surgeons and scientists in the field.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pancreatic islet cell transplantation.Surg Clin North Am. 1978; 58: 365-382https://doi.org/10.1016/S0039-6109(16)41489-1
- The role of total pancreatectomy with islet autotransplantation in the treatment of chronic pancreatitis: a report from the International Consensus Guidelines in chronic pancreatitis.Pancreatology. 2020; 20: 762-771https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pan.2020.04.005
- Management of chronic pancreatitis.Gastroenterology. 2013; 144 (e3): 1282-1291https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2013.02.008
- Total pancreatectomy and islet autotransplantation in children for chronic pancreatitis: indication, surgical techniques, postoperative management, and long-term outcomes.Ann Surg. 2014; 260: 56-64https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000000569
- Total pancreatectomy with islet autologous transplantation: the cure for chronic pancreatitis?.Clin Transl Gastroenterol. 2015; 6: e73https://doi.org/10.1038/ctg.2015.2
- Morbidity of total pancreatectomy with islet cell auto-transplantation compared to total pancreatectomy alone.HPB. 2014; 16: 522-527https://doi.org/10.1111/hpb.12168
- Total pancreatectomy and islet autotransplantation: a decade nationwide analysis.World J Transplant. 2016; 6: 233-238https://doi.org/10.5500/wjt.v6.i1.233
- Surgical approach and short-term outcomes in adults and children undergoing total pancreatectomy with islet autotransplantation: a report from the Prospective Observational Study of TPIAT.Pancreatology. 2022; 22: 1-8https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pan.2021.09.011
- Post-splenectomy and hyposplenic states.Lancet. 2011; 378: 86-97https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(10)61493-6
- Clinical efficacy of spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomy with or without splenic vessel preservation: a meta-analysis.Medicine (Baltim). 2017; 96e8600https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000008600
- Total pancreatectomy and islet autotransplantation for chronic pancreatitis.J Am Coll Surg. 2012; 214: 409-424https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2011.12.040
- Short- and long-term surgical outcomes of total pancreatectomy with islet autotransplantation: a comparative analysis of surgical technique and intraoperative heparin dosing to optimize outcomes.Pancreatology. 2021; 21: 291-298https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pan.2020.11.013
- The risks of total pancreatectomy and splenic islet autotransplantation.Cell Transplant. 2000; 9: 19-24https://doi.org/10.1177/096368970000900103
- Conservation of the spleen with distal pancreatectomy.Arch Surg. 1988; 123: 550-553https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.1988.01400290032004
- Spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomy with conservation of the splenic artery and vein.Surgery. 1996; 120: 885-890https://doi.org/10.1016/S0039-6060(96)80099-7
- The impact of surgical complications on the outcome of total pancreatectomy with islet autotransplantation.Am J Surg. 2020; 219: 99-105https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2019.04.007
- Clinical effectiveness of a pylorus-preserving procedure on total pancreatectomy with islet autotransplantation.Am J Surg. 2017; 213: 1065-1071https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2016.09.051
- Improved pancreatic islet isolation outcome in autologous transplantation for chronic pancreatitis.Cell Transplant. 2012; 21: 553-558https://doi.org/10.3727/096368911X605475
- Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey.Ann Surg. 2004; 240 (ae): 205-213https://doi.org/10.1097/01.sla.0000133083.54934
- Spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomy with conservation of the splenic artery and vein.World J Gastroenterol. 2007; 13: 1493-1499https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v13.i10.1493
- Perioperative and long-term results of laparoscopic spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomy with or without splenic vessels conservation: a retrospective analysis.J Surg Oncol. 2012; 105: 387-392https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.22117
- Patency of splenic vessels after laparoscopic spleen and splenic vessel-preserving distal pancreatectomy.Br J Surg. 2009; 96: 633-640https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.6609
- Warshaw's technique: what's the point?.HPB. 2012; 14: 279https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1477-2574.2011.00434.x
- Laparoscopic spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomy with and without splenic vessel preservation: the role of the Warshaw procedure.Pancreatology. 2014; 14: 530-535https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pan.2014.09.007
- Preservation or ligation of splenic vessels during spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomy: a meta-analysis.J Invest Surg. 2019; 32: 654-669https://doi.org/10.1080/08941939.2018.1449918
- Laparoscopic spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomy: comparative study of spleen preservation with splenic vessel resection and splenic vessel preservation.World J Surg. 2014; 38: 2973-2979https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-014-2671-3
- Splenic vessel preservation versus Warshaw's technique during spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomy: a meta-analysis and systematic review.Langenbeck's Arch Surg. 2015; 400: 183-191https://doi.org/10.1007/s00423-015-1273-3
- Artery-first distal pancreatectomy.Dig Surg. 2016; 33: 314-319https://doi.org/10.1159/000445016
- Total pancreatectomy with islet autotransplantation: an overview.HPB. 2009; 11: 613-621https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1477-2574.2009.00113.x
- Spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomy with conservation of the splenic artery and vein: techniques and its significance.J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2010; 17: 813-823https://doi.org/10.1007/s00534-009-0250-z
- Efficacy of total pancreatectomy with islet autotransplantation on opioid and insulin requirement in painful chronic pancreatitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Surgery. 2019; 166: 263-270https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2019.03.014