- •Cholecystectomy is common in short bowel syndrome (SBS) patients.
- •Cholecystectomy in SBS patients increases the risk of liver fibrosis/cirrhosis.
- •Cholecystectomy prior to development of SBS does not alter need for chronic parenteral nutrition.
- •This effect is not influenced by intestinal length or anatomy.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prophylactic cholecystectomy in short bowel syndrome: is it being utilized?.Am J Surg. 2018; 216: 73-77
- Cholecystectomy and liver disease in short bowel syndrome.J Gastrointest Surg. 2016; 20: 322-327
- Postprandial gut hormone responses and glucose metabolism in cholecystectomized patients.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2013; 304: G413-G419
- Diarrhea after Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy: incidence and main determinants.ANZ J Surg. 2008; 78: 482-486
- Effect of cholecystectomy on bowel function: a prospective, controlled study.Gut. 1999; 45: 889-894
- Altered antroduodenal motility after cholecystectomy.Am J Surg. 1994; 168: 609-614
- Long-term effects of cholecystectomy on bile acid metabolism.Hepatology. 1995; 21: 41-45
- Enterohepatic circulation of bile acids after cholecystectomy.Gut. 1978; 19: 640-649
- Effect of cholecystectomy on the role of the gall bladder in fat absorption.Gut. 1964; 5: 607-610
- Role of bile acids and bile acid receptors in metabolic regulation.Physiol Rev. 2009; 89: 147-191
- Cholecystectomy and NAFLD: does gallbladder removal have metabolic consequences?.Am J Gastroenterol. 2013; 108: 959-961
- Changes in bile salt composition after cholecystectomy and ileal resection.Am J Surg. 1985; 150: 361-364
- Net digestive absorption and adaptive hyperphagia in adult short bowel patients.Gut. 2005; 53: 1279-1286
- Cholelithiasis in home parenteral nutrition (Hpn) patients- complications of the clinical nutrition: diagnosis, treatment, prevention.Pol Przegl Chir. 2014; 86: 111-115
- Cholelithiasis and related morbidity in chronic intestional failure: a longitudinal cohort study from a national specialized centre.J Gastrointest Surg. 2019; 23: 2002-2006
- Incidence, risk factors, and complications of cholelithiasis in patients with home parenteral nutrition.J Am Coll Surg. 2007; 204: 13-21
- The impact of cholecystectomy on long-term disease outcomes and quality of life in patients with Crohn's disease.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2021; 27: 336-343