- •Most general surgery program directors (PDs) were male who completed a fellowship.
- •Female program directors were appointed at a younger age and have served shorter terms than males.
- •Research output, academic rank, and fellowship training were similar regardless of program director gender.
- •Residencies with a female program director had a greater percentage of female residents.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Common program requirements.(Accessed 2021)
- Residency program directors of United States ophthalmology programs: a descriptive analysis.Am J Ophthalmol. 2020; 209: 71-76
- Diagnostic radiology residency program director workforce in the United States: a descriptive analysis.Acad Radiol. 2021; 28: 579-584
- Descriptive analysis of interventional radiology residency program directors in the United States.Clin Imag. 2020; 68: 232-235
- Surgery program director turnover correlates with residency graduate failure on American board of surgery examinations in civilian residency programs.J Surg Educ. 2019; 76: e24-e29
- The AMA Residency & Fellowship Database.American Medical Association, 2021https://freida.ama-assn.org/Date accessed: May 31, 2021
- Doximity. Doximity Residency Navigator. 2021https://www.doximity.com/residency/programs?specialtyKey=070775e2-4244-4247-a93a-efd863eb83df-surgery&sortByKey=reputation&trainingEnvironmentKey=all&intendedFellowshipKey=&guestToken=(Accessed2021)
Scopus Elsevier B.V. Published 2021. Accessed June 1, 2021.
- Prevalence and cost of full-time research fellowships during general surgery residency: a national survey.Ann Surg. 2009; 249: 155-161
- The outcome of research training during surgical residency.J Surg Res. 2000; 90: 10-12
- The ecology of program director leadership: power relationships and characteristics of effective program directors.BMC Med Educ. 2019; 19: 436
- Women physicians and promotion in academic medicine.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 2148-2157
Jena ABMPK, Dhruv MD; MPP Ho, et al; MBA sex differences in academic rank in US medical schools in 2014. JAMA, J Am Med Assoc.314(11):1149–1158.
- Leadership trends in plastic surgery.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009; 123: 750-753
- Does gender influence leadership roles in academic surgery in the United States of America? A cross-sectional study.Int J Surg. 2020; 83: 67-74
- Does Chair of surgery gender influence divisional or residency program director gender diversity?.J Surg Res. 2021; 267: 224-228
- Gender diversity in general surgery residency leadership.J Surg Educ. 2018; 75: e68-e71
- Women in surgery: bright, sharp, brave, and temperate.Perm J. 2012; 16: 54-59
- Women as leaders in cardiovascular medicine.Clin Cardiol. 2018; 41: 269-273
- Comparison of women in department leadership in obstetrics and gynecology with those in other specialties.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 127: 442-447
- AMA Physician Masterfile, December2019
- Resident and program director gender distribution by specialty.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2011; 20: 1867-1870
- Scholarly activity in academic plastic surgery: the gender difference.J Surg Res. 2018; 229: 332-336
- Recognizing and reacting to microaggressions in medicine and surgery.JAMA Surg. 2019; 154: 868-872
- Women in academic medicine.Acad Med. 2016; 91: 1045-1046
- Do male chairs of surgery have implicit gender bias in the residency application process?.Am J Surg. 2021; 221: 697-700
- Influence of gender on surgical residency applicants' recommendation letters.J Am Coll Surg. 2019; 228 (e353): 356-365
- Women in leadership and their influence on the gender diversity of academic plastic surgery programs.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2021; 147: 516-526
- Discussion: women in leadership and their influence on the gender diversity of academic plastic surgery programs.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2021; 147: 527-528
- Women in radiology: gender diversity is not a metric-it is a tool for excellence.Eur Radiol. 2020; 30: 1644-1652