- •Between 2010 and 2015 the incidence of non-cardiac surgery POAF is decreasing.
- •Age, gender, type of surgery are independent risk factors for development of POAF.
- •Race is an independent determinant of mortality following POAF.
- •Socioeconomic factors are independent determinants of mortality following POAF.
- •Socioeconomic factors are not associated with development of POAF.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Hazards of postoperative atrial arrhythmias.Ann Thorac Surg. 1993; 56https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-4975(93)90894-N
- Prevalence of diagnosed atrial fibrillation in adults.JAMA. 2001; 285https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.285.18.2370
- Incidence, predictors, and outcomes associated with postoperative atrial fibrillation after major noncardiac surgery.Am Heart J. 2012; 164https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2012.09.004
- Supraventricular arrhythmias after resection surgery of the lung.Eur J Cardio Thorac Surg. 2001; 20https://doi.org/10.1016/S1010-7940(01)00890-9
- Major adverse cardiovascular events associated with postoperative atrial fibrillation after noncardiac surgery.Circulation: Arrhythmia Electrophysiol. 2020; 13https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCEP.119.007437
- Effects of diltiazem prophylaxis on the incidence and clinical outcome of atrial arrhythmias after thoracic surgery.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2000; 120https://doi.org/10.1067/mtc.2000.109538
- Validation of an algorithm based on administrative data to detect new onset of atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2020; 20https://doi.org/10.1186/s12874-020-00953-9
- The use of preoperative B-type natriuretic peptide as a predictor of atrial fibrillation after thoracic surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2015; 29https://doi.org/10.1053/j.jvca.2014.05.015
- CHADS 2 score predicts postoperative atrial fibrillation in patients undergoing elective pulmonary lobectomy.Ann Thorac Surg. 2017; 103https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2016.11.007
- Risk factors associated with atrial fibrillation after noncardiac thoracic surgery: analysis of 2588 patients.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004; 127https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2003.07.011
- Older age is the strongest predictor of postoperative atrial fibrillation.Anesthesiology. 2002; 96https://doi.org/10.1097/00000542-200202000-00021
- Low circulating levels of growth differentiation factor-15 before coronary artery bypass surgery may predict postoperative atrial fibrillation.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2015; 29https://doi.org/10.1053/j.jvca.2015.01.023
- High preoperative monocyte count/high-density lipoprotein ratio is associated with postoperative atrial fibrillation and mortality in coronary artery bypass grafting.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2016; 31 (Published online December)https://doi.org/10.1093/icvts/ivw376
- Aged atria: electrical remodeling conducive to atrial fibrillation.J Intervent Card Electrophysiol. 2009; 25https://doi.org/10.1007/s10840-008-9358-3
- Galectin-3 as a marker of interstitial atrial remodelling involved in atrial fibrillation.Sci Rep. 2017; 7https://doi.org/10.1038/srep40378
- Gender and age differences in induced atrial fibrillation.Am J Cardiol. 2001; 88https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9149(01)01698-8
- Effects of gender on cardiac arrhythmias.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 1998; 9https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-8167.1998.tb00950.x
- The society of thoracic surgeons practice guideline on the prophylaxis and management of atrial fibrillation associated with general thoracic surgery: executive summary.Ann Thorac Surg. 2011; 92https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2011.06.104
- C-reactive protein elevation in patients with atrial arrhythmias.Circulation. 2001; 104https://doi.org/10.1161/hc4901.101760
- Effect of gender and sex hormones on immune responses following SHOCK.Shock. 2000; 14https://doi.org/10.1097/00024382-200014020-00001
- Prevalence and predictors of new-onset atrial fibrillation after elective surgery for colorectal cancer.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2005; 28https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-8159.2005.00024.x
- Influence of race on atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery.Circulation: Arrhythmia Electrophysiol. 2011; 4https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCEP.111.962670
- Left atrial volume: predictor of atrial fibrillation in patients with degenerative mitral regurgitation.J Heart Valve Dis. 2007; 16
- Racial differences in atrial fibrillation prevalence and left atrial size.Am J Med. 2010; 123https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2009.05.019
- Atrial fibrillation and ethnicity: the known, the unknown and the paradox.Future Cardiol. 2009; 5https://doi.org/10.2217/fca.09.49
- Effect of insurance type on perioperative outcomes after robotic-assisted pulmonary lobectomy for lung cancer.Surgery. 2019; 166https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2019.04.008
- Survival from in-hospital cardiac arrest during nights and weekends.JAMA. 2008; 299https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.299.7.785
- Lone atrial fibrillation: does it exist?.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 63https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2014.01.023
- Epicardial adipose tissue may mediate deleterious effects of obesity and inflammation on the myocardium.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 71https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2018.03.509
- Postoperative atrial fibrillation: mechanisms, manifestations and management.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2019; 16https://doi.org/10.1038/s41569-019-0166-5
- Postoperative atrial fibrillation in non-cardiac and cardiac surgery: an overview.J Thromb Haemostasis : JTH. 2015; 13https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.12974
- A review and analysis of strategies for prediction, prevention and management of post-operative atrial fibrillation after non-cardiac thoracic surgery.J Thorac Dis. 2018; 10https://doi.org/10.21037/jtd.2018.09.144
- Prophylaxis Against atrial fibrillation after general thoracic surgery.Chest. 2017; 151https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chest.2016.08.1476
- Colchicine for Prevention of Perioperative Atrial Fibrillation in patients undergoing lung resection surgery: a pilot randomized controlled study.Eur J Cardio Thorac Surg : Off J Eur Assoc Cardio Thorac Surg. 2018; 53https://doi.org/10.1093/ejcts/ezx422
- Effects of extended-release metoprolol succinate in patients undergoing non-cardiac surgery (POISE trial): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2008; 371https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60601-7
- Understanding the statistics and limitations of large database analyses.Spine. 2014; 39https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0000000000000352