- •Limited data exists regarding triage of geriatric trauma patients (GTPs).
- •Management of ground-level fall (GLF) GTPs by emergency medicine (EM) and trauma is associated with similar risk of mortality.
- •GLF GTPs managed initially by EM had a lower rate of admission compared to those managed initially by trauma.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Available at:) (
- Key Indicators of Well-Being.US Federal Inter- agency Forum on Aging Related Statistics, Washington, DC2016 (2016)
- National center for injury prevention and control.Web–based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS). 2020;Date accessed: April 3, 2020
- Outcomes of trauma care at centers treating a higher proportion of older patients: the case for geriatric trauma centers.Acute Care Surg. 2015; 78: 852-859
- The aging of America: a comprehensive look at over 25,000 geriatric trauma admissions to United States hospitals.Am Surg. 2015; 81: 630-636
- The role of emergency medicine physicians in trauma care in North America: evolution of a specialty.Scand J Trauma Resuscitation Emerg Med. 2009; 17 (Published 2009 Aug 23): 37https://doi.org/10.1186/1757-7241-17-37
- Resources for the Optimal Care of the Injured Patient: 2014.American College of Surgeons, Chicago, IL2014
- A model for an integrated emergency medicine/trauma service.Acad Emerg Med. 1996; 3: 1136-1139https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1553-2712.1996.tb03374.x
- Alternating day emergency medicine and anesthesia resident responsibility for management of the trauma airway: a study of laryngoscopy performance and intubation success.Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 43: 48-53https://doi.org/10.1016/s0196-0644(03)00638-3
- Trauma management outcomes associated with nonsurgeon versus surgeon trauma team leaders.Ann Emerg Med. 2007; 50 (e1): 7-12https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2006.09.017
- Procedure rates performed by emergency medicine residents: a retrospective review.Int J Emerg Med. 2018; 11 (7. Published 2018 Feb 14)https://doi.org/10.1186/s12245-018-0167-x
- Procedural competency in emergency medicine: the current range of resident experience.Acad Emerg Med. 1999 Jul; 6: 728-735https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1553-2712.1999.tb00444.x
- A comparison of the abilities of nine scoring algorithms in predicting mortality.J Trauma. 2002; 53: 621-629https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-200210000-00001
- Predictors of mortality in trauma patients aged 80 years or older.Am Surg. 2016; 82: 926-929
- Admission heart rate is a predictor of mortality.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 72: 943-947https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e3182465527
- Predictors of mortality in trauma patients.Am Surg. 2004; 70: 805-810
- Potential risk factors of death in multiple trauma patients.Emerg (Tehran). 2014; 2: 170-173
- MSCS One-year mortality in geriatric trauma patients: improving upon the geriatric trauma outcomes score utilizing the social security death index.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2019; 87: 1148-1155https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.00000000000024
- Predictors of mortality in geriatric trauma patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014; 76: 894-901https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e3182ab0763
- Defining geriatric trauma: when does age make a difference?.Surgery. 2012; 152: 668-675https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2012.08.017
- Identification of an age cutoff for increased mortality in patients with elderly trauma.Am J Emerg Med. 2010; 28: 151-158https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2008.10.027
- Increased trauma activation is not equally beneficial for all elderly trauma patients.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2018; 85: 598-602https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000001986
- Survey of national usage of trauma response charge codes: an opportunity for enhanced trauma center revenue.J Trauma Inj Infect Crit Care. 2009; 67: 1352-1358https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e3181c3fdd4
- Success of an expedited emergency department triage evaluation system for geriatric trauma patients not meeting trauma activation criteria.Open Access Emerg Med. 2019; 11 (Published 2019 Oct 29): 241-247https://doi.org/10.2147/OAEM.S212617
- A prospective, randomized trial of an emergency department observation unit for acute onset atrial fibrillation.Ann Emerg Med. 2008; 52: 322-328https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2007.12.015
- Canadian Cardiovascular Society atrial fibrillation guidelines 2010: management of recent-onset atrial fibrillation and flutter in the emergency department.Can J Cardiol. 2011; 27 ([published correction appears in Can J Cardiol. 2012 Mar-Apr;28(2):244. Dosage error in article text]): 38-46https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cjca.2010.11.014
- Randomized clinical trial of an emergency department observation syncope protocol versus routine inpatient admission.Ann Emerg Med. 2014; 64: 167-175https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2013.10.029