- •2.5% of patients undergoing parathyroidectomy had radioactive iodine exposure.
- •The average latency to development of RAI-induced hyperparathyroidism is 24 years.
- •As age at the time of RAI treatment increases, the latency period decreases.
- •Follow-up serum calcium level every 3–5 years following RAI treatment is recommended.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A case of hyperparathyroidism associated with radiation to the head and neck area.Cancer. Sep 1975; 36: 1111-1114https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(197509)36:3<1111::aid-cncr2820360341>3.0.co;2-9
- Hyperparathyroidism in persons treated with X-rays for tuberculous cervical adenitis.Cancer. Aug 1977; 40: 846-854https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(197708)40:2<846::aid-cncr2820400238>3.0.co;2-2
- Radiation-associated hyperparathyroidism: a new syndrome?.Surgery. Sep 1977; 82: 296-302
- Hyperparathyroidism among atomic bomb survivors in Hiroshima.Radiat Res. Jun 1992; 130: 372-378
- A prospective study of hyperparathyroidism in individuals exposed to radiation in childhood.JAMA. Aug 01 1990; 264: 581-584
- The parathyroid as a target for radiation damage.N Engl J Med. Aug 18 2011; 365: 676-678https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMc1104982
- Irradiation of the thyroid as a cause of parathyroid adenoma.Lancet. Mar 12 1977; 1: 593-594https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(77)92017-7
- Hyperparathyroidism after radioactive iodine therapy for Graves disease.Surgery. Nov 1982; 92: 811-813
- Induction of hyperparathyroidism by radioactive iodine.Am J Surg. Oct 1984; 148: 441-445https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9610(84)90366-0
- Hyperparathyroidism after treatment with radioactive iodine: not only a coincidence?.Surgery. Dec 1989; 106: 1025-1027
- A clinical evaluation of radiation-induced hyperparathyroidism based on 148 surgically treated patients.World J Surg. Feb 1984; 8: 96-105https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01658376
- [Hyperparathyroidism after radioactive iodine therapy for Graves' disease: a case report].Hinyokika Kiyo. Nov 1983; 29: 1513-1519
- Hyperparathyroidism after radioactive iodine therapy.Am J Surg. Sep 2007; 194: 323-327https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2007.04.005
- Parathyroid adenoma in patients with Graves' disease: a report of 21 cases.Endocr Pathol. Mar 2015; 26: 71-74https://doi.org/10.1007/s12022-014-9349-0
- Hyperparathyroidism two years after radioactive iodine therapy in an adolescent male.Case Rep Pediatr. 2014; 2014163848https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/163848
- Risk of parathyroid adenomas in patients with thyrotoxicosis exposed to radioactive iodine.Acta Oncol. 2006; 45: 1059-1061https://doi.org/10.1080/02841860500516618
- An evaluation of the risk of developing hyperparathyroidism after 131I treatment for thyrotoxicosis.Acta Chir Scand. 1983; 149: 681-686