- •Opioid free-discharge is relatively infrequent after laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
- •Non-elective cholecystectomy and older age were associated with opioid-free discharge.
- •Surgical teams should pay particular attention to patient and procedural factors when prescribing opioids.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Provisional Drug Overdose Death Counts.National Center for Health Statistics, 2021
- Rates and risk factors for prolonged opioid use after major surgery: population based cohort study.BMJ. 2014 Feb 11; (g1251. PubMed PMID: 24519537. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC3921439) (available on request from the corresponding author) and declare: no support from any company for the submitted work; and no non-financial interests that may be relevant to the submitted work. HC has the following relationships with companies that might have an interest in the submitted work, which may be perceived as a competing interest: an externally peer reviewed grant from Pfizer Canada to evaluate perioperative pregabalin for pain management after hip replacement surgery. Otherwise, the authors have no financial relationships with any organisations that might have an interest in the submitted work in the previous three years. Epub 2014/02/13. eng: 348
- Wide variation and excessive dosage of opioid prescriptions for common general surgical procedures.Ann Surg. 2017 Apr; 265 (PubMed PMID: 27631771. Epub 2016/09/16. eng): 709-714
- Association of opioid prescribing with opioid consumption after surgery in Michigan.JAMA Surg. 2019 Jan 1; 154 (PubMed PMID: 30422239. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC6439853 Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation. Epub 2018/11/14. eng)e184234
- A pathway for developing postoperative opioid prescribing best practices.Ann Surg. 2020; 271: 86-93
- Opioid use and storage patterns by patients after hospital discharge following surgery.PLoS One. 2016; 11 (PubMed PMID: 26824844. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC4732746. Epub 2016/01/30. eng)e0147972
- The impact of education and prescribing guidelines on opioid prescribing for breast and melanoma procedures.Ann Surg Oncol. 2019 Jan; 26 (PubMed PMID: 30238243. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC6339586. Epub 2018/09/22. eng): 17-24
- Reduction in opioid prescribing through evidence-based prescribing guidelines.JAMA Surgery. 2018; 153: 285-287
- Opioid use after discharge in postoperative patients: a systematic review.Ann Surg. 2018 Jun; 267 (PubMed PMID: 29215370. Epub 2017/12/08. eng): 1056-1062
- Prescription opioid analgesics commonly unused after surgery: a systematic review.JAMA Surg. 2017 Nov 1; 152 (PubMed PMID: 28768328. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC5701659. Epub 2017/08/03. eng): 1066-1071
- Narcotic free cervical endocrine surgery: a shift in paradigm.Ann Surg. 2019 Jul 6; 274 (PubMed PMID: 31356280. Epub 2019/07/30. eng): e143-e149
Jones MDJ. Open Cholecystectomy 2021. In: Treasure Island (FL) StatPearls. [Updated 2022 Apr 28].
- Variation of opioid prescribing patterns among patients undergoing similar surgery on the same acute care surgery service of the same institution: time for standardization?.Surgery. 2018 Nov; 164 (PubMed PMID: 30049481. Epub 20180723): 926-930
- The opioid epidemic in acute care surgery-Characteristics of overprescribing following laparoscopic cholecystectomy.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2018 Jul; 85 (PubMed PMID: 29462081. Epub 2018/02/21. eng): 62-70
- Wide variation and overprescription of opioids after elective surgery.Ann Surg. 2017 Oct; 266 (PubMed PMID: 28697049): 564-573
Network MOPE. Opioid Prescribing Recommendations - Cholecystectomy - Laparoscopic 2021 [cited 2021 June 10].
- CDC Opioid NDC and Oral MME Conversion File.2020 (2021)
- Optimizing opioid prescriptions after laparoscopic appendectomy and cholecystectomy.Can J Surg. 2021 Feb 9; 64 (PubMed PMID: 33560737. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC7955819. Epub 2021/02/10. eng): E69-e75
- Opioid prescribing trends: changes after focused hospital resident education and after subsequent adoption of new state regulations.J Opioid Manag. 2021 Jan-Feb; 17 (PubMed PMID: 33735428. Epub 2021/03/19. eng): 63-67
- Opioids after surgery in the United States versus the rest of the world: the international patterns of opioid prescribing (iPOP) multicenter study.Ann Surg. 2020 Dec; 272 (PubMed PMID: 32657939): 879-886
- Pain or No pain, we will give you opioids: relationship between number of opioid pills prescribed and severity of pain after operation in US vs non-US patients.J Am Coll Surg. 2020 Dec; 231 (PubMed PMID: 32977034. Epub 2020/09/26. eng): 639-648
- Prevalence and prescribers of preoperative opioid prescriptions in the US, 2008-2019.JAMA Netw Open. 2022 Feb 1; 5 (PubMed PMID: 35142837. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC8832172. Epub 20220201)e2147897
- New persistent opioid use after inguinal Hernia repair.Ann Surg. 2020 Oct 15; (PubMed PMID: 33065653. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC8289484. Epub 20201015)
- Evaluating age as a predictor of postoperative opioid use and prescribing habits in older adults with cancer.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2022 Mar 2; 23 (PubMed PMID: 35247360. Epub 20220302): 678-683
- Pharmacological management of persistent pain in older patients.Clin J Pain. 2004 Jul-Aug; 20 (PubMed PMID: 15218406): 220-226
- Factors associated with opioid overdose after an initial opioid prescription.JAMA Netw Open. 2022 Jan 4; 5 (PubMed PMID: 35089351. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC8800077. Epub 20220104)e2145691
- Correlation between 24-hour predischarge opioid use and amount of opioids prescribed at hospital discharge.JAMA Surg. 2018 Feb 21; 153 (PubMed PMID: 29238810. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC5838710. Epub 20180221)e174859
- Post-discharge opioid prescribing after laparoscopic appendicectomy and cholecystectomy.ANZ J Surg. 2020 Jun; 90 (PubMed PMID: 32395916. Epub 20200512): 1014-1018
- Excessive opioid prescribing after surgery - a uniquely American problem.Ann Surg. 2020 Dec; 272 (PubMed PMID: 33177414): 887-888
- Opioid stewardship after emergency laparoscopic general surgery.Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2019; 4 (PubMed PMID: 31673634. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC6802986. Epub 20190923)e000328