We read with much interest the article “Gender-differences of proceduralists in perception of hand-held surgical instrument fit – A cross-sectional survey” by Weinriech et al.
1We would like to commend the authors on their study of a very important topic, that of the mismatch between human hand size (using glove size as a proxy) and hand-held surgical instrument fit. However, the results of this study need to be interpreted in the context of the following points.
- Weinreich H.M.
- Babu M.
- Kamil R.
- Williams Q.
- Buhimschi I.A.
Gender-differences of proceduralists in perception of hand-held surgical instrument fit–A cross-sectional survey.
Am J Surg. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2022.05.011
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Gender-differences of proceduralists in perception of hand-held surgical instrument fit–A cross-sectional survey.Am J Surg. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2022.05.011
- The adult human hand: some anthropometric and biomechanical considerations.Hum Factors. 1971; 13: 117-131
- Anthropometric Source Book: Anthropometry for designers. 1–3. National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Scientific and Technical Information Office, 1978 (NASA Source book-RP-1024)
- Maximal power grasp and three-jaw chuck pinch force as a function of wrist position, age, and glove type.Int J Ind Ergon. 1993; 11: 195-206
- Gender equity in ergonomics: does muscle effort in laparoscopic surgery differ between men and women?.Surg Endosc. 2022; 36: 396-401
- The ergonomics of women in surgery.Surg Endosc. 2014; 28: 1051-1055
- Society of Surgical Ergonomics.org.2022
Published online: August 07, 2022
Accepted: August 2, 2022
Received in revised form: July 31, 2022
Received: July 30, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.