Dr. Steven Wexner: I would like to welcome everyone to this month's episode of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion series, in alliance with the American College of Surgeons, proceedings From the Advances in Surgery (AIS) Channel's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Series: Microaggressions: Lessons Learned from Black Academic Surgeons.
1I am very gratified that each of these broadcasts during the last several months have attracted over 30,000 surgeons from over 100 countries.
- Advances in Surgery Channel
Diversity Equity and inclusion series: microagressions Lessons Learned from black academic surgeons.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diversity Equity and inclusion series: microagressions Lessons Learned from black academic surgeons.
- Microaggressions and implicit bias in surgical training: an undocumented but pervasive phenomenon.Ann Surg. Apr 9 2021; https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000004917
- An experiment in racism: TV commercials.Educ Urban Soc. 1977; 10: 61-87https://doi.org/10.1177/001312457701000105
- Altering the course; black males in medicine.https://store.aamc.org/downloadable/download/sample/sample_id/84/#:~:text=This%20report%20aims%20to%20be,by%20collectively%20redoubling%20our%20effortsDate: 2005Date accessed: June 3, 2022
- Discrimination, abuse, harassment, and burnout in surgical residency training.N Engl J Med. Oct 31 2019; 381: 1741-1752https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa1903759
- Toward an equitable society: building a culture of antiracism in health care.J Clin Invest. Oct 1 2020; 130: 5039-5041https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI141675
- Active antiracism through surgical education.Am J Surg. Jun 25 2022; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2022.06.021
- Prevalence, types, and sources of bullying reported by US general surgery residents in 2019.JAMA. May 26 2020; 323: 2093-2095https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.2901
- Hiding in plain sight.JAMA. Dec 10 2019; 322: 2173-2174https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2019.19326
- It's Not People of Colour's Responsibility to Solve Microaggressions in the Workplace.The Varsity. The University of Toronto: Varsity Publications Inc., 2020https://thevarsity.ca/2022/02/20/microaggressions-in-the-workplace/Date accessed: February 20, 2020
- Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents.Random House, 2020: 496
- Embracing allyship in academic surgery: how all surgeons can become effective champions for change.J Am Coll Surg. Aug 1 2022; 235: 371-374https://doi.org/10.1097/XCS.0000000000000203
Published online: September 06, 2022
Accepted: September 1, 2022
Received in revised form: August 26, 2022
Received: July 24, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.